In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Imagine a room full of oblivious dolts, and I'm taking advantage of them for personal gain.
- Causing indiscriminate, unintentional pain is the mark of a bully or a dolt, while accepting pain as simply one's lot in life is a victim mentality.
- And yet this myth of the destructive editor - the dolt with the blue pencil - is pervasive, not least in academe.
- It's foolish to complain about uninteresting times, especially when one of your favourite curses is to condemn fools, dolts and irritating people to live in times of an interesting kind.
- As much as I like to rip into these dolts, I do get worried about how younger kids will defend themselves against such well-crafted messages that try to make their decisions for them.
- Then I realized that the the form of the final copy was sometimes dictated by unsophisticated dolts.
- No riders seemed to have gone down as a result of those knuckle-dragging dolts.
- The story ended before Archer gave his speech, and of course the dolts on the message boards complained that we didn't hear what he said.
- And the dolts who planted the bug in the mayor's office?
- There's a strong satirical tradition of lovable dolts coming to the big city and getting taken up as primitive geniuses by shallow cafe society.
- What makes the dunderheaded dolt think he can pull it off?
- Since it's not funny, and it's rarely interesting, I know this movie bored even the dolts in the audience.
- Mainstream media is not the way it is because it's run by dolts.
- In short: is the world's greatest deliberative body really filled with this many dim bulbs, card sharps and overstroked dolts who confuse a leaden pause with great rhetoric?
- Like the other movies on that short list, it combines teen angst, romance, and comedy while never presuming that its audience is full of dolts and idiots.
- Someone figured out that large percentage of their traffic consisted of lazy dolts like me who realized their tabs were due, so they set up a line just for tabs.
- Once again, shareholders were pictured as dolts, unable to find their way off a stalled escalator.
- I'm sure those dolts down in accounting feel the same way about what you do with your checkbook.
- More stupid, though, are the dolts revealed by this site.
- And when a quote-unquote commercial writer finally gets noticed, chances are, she'll be treated to an acid-etched takedown that drips with scorn, not only for her, but for the dolts dumb enough to read her stuff.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.