In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- I slowly limped to the house, rang the doorbell like a shy visitor, and waited for mom to greet me.
- The children ring our doorbells in the middle of the night.
- I ignore the doorbell when it rings because it's never a genuine visitor.
- The girl rang the doorbell of a nearby house and told the owner what had happened.
- I go home and people are running in and out of the house and not even ringing the doorbell.
- But not everyone likes having their doorbell rung after dark, especially the elderly.
- He rang the doorbell three times and sat outside my house in his car for over an hour.
- She goes from house to house, ringing doorbells and then running away.
- At about quarter to midnight the doorbell rang and more guests arrived.
- The association also provides equipment and aids for use in daily living like television and stereo listening devices, smoke alarms and doorbells.
- The dog is trained to alert them to doorbells, smoke alarms and phones.
- Say you are visiting a friend in Paris and you want to ring his doorbell.
- Both have been ringing more doorbells for several reasons.
- A couple of weeks ago the postman rang the doorbell early on a Saturday morning.
- A man rang the doorbell and said he was doing some work next door and would like a brew.
- Help with mailings, attend campaign events, and volunteer to go ring doorbells with the candidate.
- I grinned at him and gave him a hug just as the doorbell rang signalling the arrival of my friends.
- Unionists have volunteered to go out and ring doorbells to urge people to cancel their subscriptions.
- She has a sister who lives in Queens, but she has never had enough courage to ring the doorbell.
- I'm not a jumpy person, especially when doorbells ring.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.