In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(twice as much)(portion/amount) doblea double brandy/vodka — un coñac/vodka doble
- she's double your age — te dobla la edad
- it's double that — es el doble de eso
- we get double pay on Sundays — los domingos nos pagan el doble / nos dan paga doble
- a double dip — dos bolas / un doble de helado
- Prepare a pot of tea as described above, using double quantities of tea.
- She ordered a double vodka, straight, with a glass of water.
- White flowers often give double value by having a beautiful scent.
- He was struck down by kidney stones that put paid to an earlier attempt at the double marathon.
- At least a portion of the side walls of the body may include a double panel thickness to add strength to the container assembly.
- From the first notes of the first track of this superb double album we know we're in safe hands.
- Mr Melia had three pints of lager, a bottle of alcopops and a double brandy and coke on a night out with friends before getting behind the wheel.
- All the children have double PE lessons so it is not as if we have banned all sports at the school.
- I once got thrown out of a pub in Padstow because he bought me a double brandy.
- I have one of those huge, double size coffee mugs, a gift from a woman I was seeing about five years ago.
- Ward had a rail down at the double combination to finish with 39.74 seconds on the clock for fifth place.
- At the airport you can see people drinking double whiskies or brandies to give them confidence
- My husband had a double whisky.
- The bunker is the size of a double garage with 3 fences around it, a microwave intruder alarm detection system and 32 armed policemen.
- Mr Thorold also told the court that he and Hildreth regularly went out in the city and described how they often drank up to 12 double vodka and Cokes on a night out.
- They were served in generous quantity, almost double normal size.
- So a double tall latte now costs $3.45, the same as an ordinary tall latte.
- Instead, when you do cook, make double quantities of meals that you can freeze so that you can draw on those when you're feeling too tired to cook.
- Opened flat, the double page size is 7 x 5.5 inches, quite large enough for an effective sketch should I want to get serious.
- You can't resize the player window, which will annoy most people accustomed to viewing small videos at double size.
1.2(in pair)(consonant) doblemy number is double three seven double four eight — mi número es tres tres siete, cuatro cuatro ocho
- it's spelled with a double 't' — se escribe con dos tes
- a double negative — una doble negación
- double bend — curva en S
- a double six — un seis doble / un doble seis
- inflation reached double figures / digits — la inflación alcanzó/rebasó el 10%
- During 1980 I accompanied Peter Doyle in the radio studios of 2 double J. while he was on air.
- I mean, who has three sets of double letters in their name?
- People think there can't possibly be two lots of double letters in one word so they often drop one set.
- For book titles, phrases et cetera, put the words in double inverted commas, as with other Google searches.
- Collins dictionary allows berretta with a double r as an alternative (the Italian spelling).
- Moreover, the double letter ‘a’ is atypical in the German language.
1.3(for two)(room) doble(bed) de matrimonio(bed) de dos plazas América Latina
- I've got a caravan to myself with quite a bit of room - sofa, double bed, etc - a few yards from the main farm house.
- £235,000 buys you a 99-year lease on a small serviced room with a double bed, en-suite shower and all mod cons.
- The other generously sized double bedroom is also connected to the en suite bathroom and overlooks the rear garden.
- The gaily painted rooms continue the Caribbean theme and include a double bed and two bunks with en-suite bathroom.
- Payments will go up from 301 a week to 316 for single rooms and from 293 to 301 for double rooms from April.
- A baby and toddler may require a double buggy (carefully designed to be three millimetres wider than the doorway of your favourite shop).
- Kane now sleeps on the living room sofa as Ikolo and her baby share the double bed in her room.
- He threw my bag onto the double bed in the center of the room.
- But parents with pushchairs also share these problems and for anyone with a double buggy the difficulties can be even greater.
- An open plan landing runs the length of the first floor, at either end of which are two identical double bedrooms.
- Three of the double bedrooms are a similar size, with two overlooking the rear garden currently used as a gym and a home office.
- Tariffs range from $80 to $195 for a double room, depending on the season.
- The small single bedroom is used as a study while the double bedrooms are a good size and have fitted floor-to-ceiling wardrobes.
- I was led up the main stairs to a large room, whose only furnishings were a double bed and a small nightstand.
- As she looked a woman jogged by with her twin children in a double stroller and a poodle tied to the handle bar panting behind.
- Located on either side of the living/kitchen area were two large rooms both with a double bed and a hot tub.
- I found double rooms in the heart of Rome and London for about $100 per night.
- Then a third got on with a double pushchair, completely blocking the aisle.
- These are proper sized rooms, enough space for a double bed and a couch and a desk.
- It was so upmarket that we could only afford a room between us, with one double bed.
1.4(folded)dobleto fold sth double — doblar algo por la mitad
- he was bent double with the pain — se retorcía del dolor
- Hanna married Skeffington and the couple adopted the double surname of Sheehy-Skeffington.
- Reinforcing this effect are a series of terraces leading invitingly from formal and casual living areas through sets of double doors to the home paddock and bush beyond.
- Longford manager Alan Matthews made a double substitution at the half time break introducing Vinny Perth and Eric Lavine.
- It was a double celebration as his grandparents Jane and Paddy Deere were celebrating their 54th wedding anniversary.
- Because of the large double doors it lends itself to easy access for deliveries with ample parking to the front and side of the building.
- There was a mesh grille behind the double doors, and I wondered if anyone else was there.
- It is hidden away in a back street behind 2 huge double doors, which means you have no idea what to expect when walking in.
- The whole county was shocked at the double tragedy which claimed the lives of two young men on Sunday evening, June 27.
- By far the most blatantly contrived element of the play is the happy and neatly accounted for ending, with a stereotypical Hollywood double wedding scene.
- Fontaine, right, retired aged just 28 after twice suffering a double leg fracture.
- Inside, every seat was taken, the double doors guarded by court security staff.
- The double doors are open, and conversation drifts through from the next room.
- The master bedrooms have double doors leading to a balcony area.
- The dining area is lit by two large Velux windows, a further two windows to the side and a set of glazed double doors opening out onto a patio.
- There are double doors leading to the kitchen which has an oak kitchen, extractor fan, electric oven and electric ceramic hob.
- The singer recently had a double hip replacement but said he was ‘in better shape now than he has been for some time’.
- A PUB in Whitley is celebrating a double success after being judged top in its field by two leading food guides.
- So I knew something was up when he grabbed both of our trays of food and took them through the double doors to the tables outside.
- Billy fears he will die within weeks unless he is immediately approved for a double lung transplant.
- He pushed through the double doors at the end of the hall, descended the stairs, and wandered almost blindly through the lobby and out into the street.
2.1(dual)doblea double purpose — un doble propósito
2.2(false)to lead a double life — llevar una doble vida
- to play a double game — hacer un doble juego
1(twice as much)(pay/cost/earn) el dobleshe spends double what she earns — gasta el doble de lo que gana
- I pay double the rent I did last year — pago el doble de alquiler que el año pasado
- double 7 is 14 — el doble de 7 es 14
- Away goals do not count double in Fifa's rulebook.
- As soon as it is cooked through, fold it double, turn it out on a hot dish, and serve at once.
- All sorts of innovations had been touted in earlier plans for the ' 20 / 20 ' competition, including a Golden Over where each run would count double.
- It's three against three and my vote counts double.
- This applies double if the profanity occurs during a quarterly conference call.
- This goes double for similar criticism of policies, if the criticism is routed through proper channels.
- In fact we are double daft because we've just held two little soirées - one for family and one for colleagues and friends.
1.1(hotel room)doble femenino
- B&B in standard doubles is from £127; superior doubles and suites go from £165 to £250.
- The offer entitles readers to a complimentary upgrade of room, from a standard double to a Hallmark / Delux room.
- A superior double or twin costs from £140, again for two.
- Rooms cost from £70 for a standard double / twin per night midweek in high season.
- Upstairs there are two doubles and one twin bedroom to the front of the house, all decorated in tasteful but unusual colours.
- Both are doubles which have been finished to the highest standard.
- Both are large doubles with built-in wardrobes and mirrored vanity units.
- Both of the bedrooms in this unit are doubles and have en suite shower rooms, one of which is accessed via a spiral staircase from the living room.
- Both of the property's two bedrooms are doubles with built-in wardrobes, laminate floors and fitted vanity units.
- To the front are two good sized doubles, each fitted with a wardrobe and shelving unit.
- Otherwise, ask for a standard double with a sea view: the moody purples and glowing oranges at dusk and dawn are quite spectacular.
- For a good quality pocket-sprung mattress, expect to pay from £875 for a standard double at Vi-Spring.
- All of the other bedrooms are doubles and one contains fitted wardrobes and a shelving unit.
- The master bedroom has a huge double bath, while there is a twin room in the cellar and a double on the ground floor.
- It's just that the upmarket rooms in the 3-star hotel cost the same as the standard doubles in the superior ones.
- The bedroom accommodation will comprise two doubles and a large single in the three-bedroom houses and two doubles in all other units.
- As well as standard doubles, the hotel has well-equipped suites overlooking the golf course, each with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen and a living room.
- I think you have to try sleeping separately - buy twin beds if you share a double now.
- The single is likely to be used as a children's bedroom or possibly a study, while the double has a vanity unit wash hand basin.
- Peterhead seemed to be coasting until East Stirling substitute, Gregor McKechnie, squared the match with a double inside four minutes.
1.2(of spirits)medida doble femenino
- Many pubs now serve doubles as standard.
- Last night Wetherspoon spokesman Eddie Gershon admitted that offering doubles rather than singles was standard practice in all the company's pubs.
- I already had them figured for bourbon drinkers, and on receiving confirmation I poured a pair of doubles, left the bottle out and placed a tray of ice on the counter.
- Michael doesn't drink, but if you make mine a double, you're on.
- It seems to be more acceptable for women to drink pints or doubles now.
- Another gin and tonic, honey - better make it a double.
- Famous magicians excel in the use of stage doubles and even twins, in order to get spectacular results that seem to defy the laws of the universe.
- Bethany had played Tatiana's double in the mirror in the second scene of Onegin.
- Was this the real man or a double?
- Spark's friend, Nita McEwen, physically almost her double, was shot dead by Nita's husband in a hotel where Spark was staying.
- She believed that the members of her family had all been gradually replaced by doubles.
- The apparition is myself, and I stare dumbfounded as my double punches me in the stomach.
- This is too unlikely a similarity to be mere coincidence, and it produces the eerie suspicion/sensation that the women are doubles of one another.
- St. Jacques, a heroic fighter involved in the Crusades, was the exact double of Ogoun Ferraille, a powerful warrior spirit.
- Although, I did not need a mirror to see a double of myself, as my companion was the exact image of me.
- Here Lynch takes advantage of Lara Flynn Boyle's absence to cast Moira Kelly - a doppelganger Donna in a film rife with doubles.
- From one point of view, building a clone is no more remarkable than a gardener taking a cutting from a hedge; if I make a clone of myself, he will be my biological twin, not my double.
- To press their diagnosis, a second case was described who was Merrick's double.
- After accessing the computer database, he found out that the president had several doubles - at least five.
3.1(in bridge, dice, dominoes, darts)doble masculinoto throw a double — sacar un doble
- The number of doubles which can be declared and the payment for them depends on the number of players as follows.
- Doubles of declarer are ringed, to make it easier to ensure that each player makes her compulsory two doubles of declarer.
- A player must hit his double to become a killer and can then start the business of taking lives from other players by scoring in their double.
- Not only this, but, fortified by the fact that I had drunk his lager by mistake, Ken managed to hit the winning double in the second leg of the last match.
- The declarer must hold at least 4 doubles to announce Plunge.
- If spades are trumps then an extra double is automatically applied to the final scores.
- If someone then bids higher, any previous doubles and redoubles are cancelled.
3.2masculino dobletemasculino doblemasculino doblete
(double win)doblete masculino
(two victories)the double — el doblete
- Oxenhope Recreation sealed a historic Craven Premier League and Cup double last Thursday night at Cross Hills FC.
- No one has done the double, won both the US and British Opens since 1982, since Tom Watson.
- Bilton remain on course for the double after Saturday's victory over Kirkstall kept them nine points clear at the top.
- Salford seek a double over the Tigers and after wins against Warrington and Huddersfield, a third Super League victory in a row.
- They have a better team now than the one who won the double in 1998.
- Dorset county player Carly Cummins has completed an international double with a comfortable victory in the Spanish sunshine.
- Ulverston Ladies Hockey Club can look back upon a memorable season, having achieved the double of winning both the Netherwood and Cumbria leagues.
- Though not as comprehensive as their win early in the season, Holme Wood Athletic completed a double over Oakenshaw.
- LEIGH RMI youth team completed a unique double by winning the NW Youth Alliance league and cup.
- United went on to win the double for the second time that season and Alan Hansen was left eating his words.
- Manager Stuart Smith was delighted to have picked up yet another trophy following Rangers' league and cup double last year.
- Yorkshire Martyrs are celebrating a second successive league and cup double.
- Wicklow did manage to score a double over the Barrow siders earlier this year, winning in both the League and Keogh Cup.
- Having taken the 4km short course race on Saturday, he became the first man to complete the double when he won the 12 km race yesterday.
- The team have now completed the double having won the County League earlier in the year.
- White, the first American to win the sprint double, is still able to compete at this weekend's IAAF Grand Prix Final in Monaco.
- There are also only 4 premiership teams that have ever won the double.
- It was Celtic's centenary season, and Macca was instrumental in winning the double, league title and cup for the club - not without the usual contumely.
- However, Andy Preece's side scored a league double over the Welsh team including a 3-0 victory at Gigg Lane.
- Having beaten the Aussies once, Britain are confident they can complete a prestigious double tonight.
- Holmes went one better than Britain's former middle-distance stars Sebastian Coe and Steve Ovett, who tried and failed to do the coveted double.
- Blackburn Under 14s made it a double, beating Barnsley 4-2 in their challenge match.
1.1(increase twofold)(earnings/profits) doblar(earnings/profits) duplicar(efforts) redoblarI'd double the amount of sugar — yo le pondría el doble de azúcar
- I'll double that offer — yo ofrezco el doble
- This personal touch has paid off handsomely for the bank with profits more than doubling in the past three years to €504m.
- She also kept her composure out on the course, more than doubling her overnight three stroke lead with a near faultless two under par 71, which included only one bogey as well as three birdies.
- The annual rent, under the lease, was one peppercorn, an amount which was later doubled.
- The economy, registering growth of over 6 percent, was one of the best performing in Asia last year, and the stock market doubled in value.
- After a blank first half, John Williams gave the hosts the lead which was doubled with Tom Daniels' first goal in three years.
- Even though Compaq's sales doubled from 1990 to 1993, pre-tax profits fell.
- Hilton more than doubled pre-tax interim profits to £156.7m, helped by a tremendous performance from its Ladbrokes betting shops.
- Six minutes later and just when the heads of a dazed and confused City appeared to be clearing, another sluggish reaction to danger saw Bury double their advantage.
- Women infected with the human papillomavirus are at risk for cervical cancer, but if they have HPV2 as well, the risk doubles.
- One explanation is that exporters faced considerable cost pressure in 1985 after the yen doubled in value in a short period.
- Here's a hot financial tip, fresh from the City desk, that's guaranteed to double your money overnight.
- Dell plans to double manufacturing capacity in China next year.
- As the demand for mortgage capital doubles, we have to make sure that the supply doubles too.
- There are now an estimated 700 abstinence programs in the United States and the government wants to double spending next year.
- The company is doubling output at its Fairmont, Ga., plant and boosting head count 8%, to 320 workers.
- During the adolescent growth spurt, for a year or more, the velocity of height increase approximately doubles; a boy is likely to be growing again at the rate he first experienced about age 2.
- Four new dialysis stations, almost twice the floor space, and an open plan arrangement are all part of a revamp that has seen the unit double in capacity.
- Use of data compression typically doubles capacity and transfer rate.
- Britain's female prison population has more than doubled in the past six years, with twice as many women as men jailed for a first offence.
- The fans should benefit from that new rule - it potentially doubles Friday's on-track action.
- Within two years the affected mines had recovered sufficiently to have doubled and, in some cases, trebled their profits.
- Even if inflation is a mere 2 percent, the cost of living still doubles in 36 years.
- An extra £3 billion is to be spent on private surgery over the next five years, doubling NHS use of private hospitals.
- Using cannabis once or twice a week almost doubles the risk of suffering psychotic symptoms in later life, researchers said yesterday.
- Even if merchandising income were to double the star's revenues, at current levels the company stands to take back around half what they have paid out.
- For each decade after age 55, the risk of stroke doubles for men and women.
- Last year, sale of steel from the bomb casings more than doubled his annual farming income to nearly U.S. $700.
- The Euroway Trading Estate based firm, which repairs, services and installs hydraulic systems, saw its turnover double last year from 2001.
- Not only has supply more than doubled, but twice as much oil and four times as much gas has been added to reserves.
- Schemes that promise to double your money overnight are guaranteed to empty your pockets.
- However, their stress level would likely double should any unfortunate event occur during their trip.
- The Liberal Democrats saw their representation double from two to four.
- These economies have doubled their ratio of trade to national income.
- The new capacity would help double annual production of compressors to six million units by 2006.
- Back in July, IFG said its profit was set to double by 2007.
- Since Whitbread acquired the business in 1995, it has doubled in size and profit.
- Further improvements have been pencilled in for 2006, when pre-tax profits are expected to double to £86m.
- Two years later, the property had doubled in value, so he sold it and decided to repeat the process.
- Anne said insurance cover for her home had doubled to €900.
- You will certainly be exposed to enough bad language in this play to completely double your present vocabulary.
2(fold)(cloth/paper) doblar por la mitad(fist) cerrar EEUU
- By definition, a pleat is a fold in cloth made by doubling the material upon itself and then pressing or stitching it into place.
- Rob stood, doubled up both fists, and struck the giant in the neck.
- I looked at him, shocked and angry at his ungrateful outburst, then doubled my fist.
- I doubled my fist, and punched him in the stomach.
- The bandage was a torn piece of cloth and had been doubled over to make it thick enough.
3Cine Teatroshe doubles the parts of maid and princess — interpreta dos papeles: el de criada y el de princesa
- It wasn't like playing two different characters at all, but doubling the same one.
4(sail around)(headland/cape) doblar
1(increase twofold)(amount/price) duplicarse(amount/price) doblarse
2(have dual role)the table doubles as a desk — la mesa también se usa como escritorio
- somebody doubled for him in the dangerous scenes — alguien lo doblaba en las escenas peligrosas
- the clarinetist doubles on saxophone — el clarinetista también toca el saxofón
3(in bridge, billiards)doblar
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.