In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- A double-breasted jacket folds over itself in the front, while a single breasted one doesn't.
- When choosing a blazer, larger men should avoid double-breasted blazers because these will make the upper body look even plumper.
- The double-breasted jackets and baggy, pleated trousers now only belong in the wardrobes of those facing what sociologists call the ‘mid-life crisis.’
- See how good a man looks in a properly tailored double-breasted tuxedo with a hand-tied bowtie.
- We see him tall, trim, handsome, usually in a navy double-breasted blazer with brass buttons, the silver hair shining, a man with a senatorial look, if not presidential.
- I have a classic dinner jacket, a double-breasted tux, and a formal jacket with ‘mod’ styling that would make it suitable for a trip to the Grammys.
- All the coats shown were simply lovely, especially the white wool and cashmere blend double-breasted trench coat at the top of the show.
- He's wearing a blue double-breasted jacket with tea stains down the front.
- To fasten a double-breasted overcoat, you'll have to lap one edge of the front well over the other.
- Standing in three-quarter view and close to the frame of the picture, he sports a silky top hat, brown double-breasted coat, flower in his button hole and cravat speared by a tie pin.
- There are also double-breasted coats and raincoats with large collars, straight, short coats, and pea coats with a removable double collar.
- It's that time of year again, when I ask myself if I should be wearing a single or double-breasted overcoat with my single-breasted suits.
- Should you opt for a single or double-breasted overcoat?
- They have obviously varied in popularity throughout the years, but in general, sporting a double-breasted jacket will give you an elegant and classic look.
- Military style has really taken the fashion world by storm in this season's men's wear, so don't be afraid to march into the office with a double-breasted suit jacket.
- There is a marked return to double-breasted coats, discretion at first glance giving way to luxurious linings of mink and chinchilla.
- Wear jackets open and remember this is probably the only time the extra fabric from a double-breasted jacket looks terrific when unbuttoned.
- Both look very suave in these double-breasted tuxedos from Chester and Chester.
- Window displays at the front of the factory - where headless dummies sport double-breasted jackets, tweed blazers and camel-hair coats - belie what is happening inside.
- Whether you wear single or double-breasted blazers, make sure to adjust them so they fit properly throughout your entire body.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.