In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cacerola para baño María femeninoheat in a double boiler — calentar al baño María
- In the old days you brought out the double boiler, put it on the stove, heated the water in the bottom half and added to the top pot whatever you wanted warmed.
- Melt 1/2 cup of chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water.
- Cook over a double boiler, whisking constantly until mixture thickens and lightens in color.
- In a double boiler, whisk the lemon zest, juice, egg yolks, and half the sugar.
- Add vanilla bean and cook over a double boiler on gentle heat, stirring till mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- In a double boiler or metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water melt chocolate with butter, stirring until smooth.
- Place caramels and water in top portion of a double boiler.
- Using a double boiler, bring the water in the bottom of the boiler to a simmer.
- Prevent discoloration in the bottoms of double boilers or egg poachers by adding 1 teaspoon vinegar or 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar to the water in the bottom pan.
- It resembles a double boiler of which the upper part (the keskas or couscoussier proper) has a perforated bottom.
- Cook the mixture over a double boiler, whisking constantly, until the mixture becomes light and foamy.
- Combine condensed soup and water in a double boiler.
- It involves a double boiler, egg whites, my handheld electric mixer and a huge mountain of powdered sugar.
- When the florentins have completely cooled and hardened, melt the chocolate in a double boiler (or in a heat-resistant bowl set in a saucepan of simmering water).
- To make it, gently warm a bottle of light honey in a double boiler, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of dried lavender flowers, and allow to infuse for two minutes.
- Break the chocolate into chunks and melt in a double boiler, bain-marie or in the microwave oven on a low setting.
- Stirred custards are generally made in the top of a double boiler over hot, not boiling water.
- Transfer mixture to the top of a double boiler, add water to bottom part and bring to simmer.
- In the top of a double boiler set over barely simmering water, melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally, until smooth.
- Place over a double boiler and whisk until the mixture reaches 165 degrees.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.