In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Now we have the ‘threat’ of Laura trying her hand in a mens' golf tournament down under.
- Chris has an extra incentive while down under, as when he gets back he hopes to sign professional terms with Warrington Wolves.
- What other decent Sci Fi has been made down under then?
- The photo was one of a St. Patrick's Day parade in far off Sydney, down under.
- Last year more than a million-and-a-half people took part in whale watching tours down under.
- In Australia, autumn is May, winter July, and this can sometimes confuse visitors down under.
- He admits he loves life down under too much to return to these shores and recently declined the offer of Christmas on the beach because the sand was too hot!
- Eighteen months ago, Wales were physically hammered, and on the scoreboard, when they toured down under.
- Ballina woman, Phyllis Donnelly, now living in Mullingar, was on holiday down under when she saw the signpost.
- Scottish twins the Proclaimers are on a world tour and they dropped in down under to tell Alex Bernard the true meaning of lifedrink!
- The manufacturer's main man down under says a lot of the big car companies are examining the technology.
- His uneven Cassius Clay impersonation just isn't working down under.
- Have I been deported down under to Australia where for some reason they start the Christmas preparations in August?
- However, attempts to retain multi-award winner Krause have failed, with the Aussie now set to return down under.
- It was a pathetic excuse for dropping the Munster master that he would not be around for the World Cup in 2003 down under.
- Those who are serious about starting a new life down under in Australia have a number of ways they can apply for residency.
- I see no future in this game other than a free trip down under every few years for the lucky ones that are picked plus all the hangers-on.
- A minor again this year he was one of the stars on the Irish team down under and won the man of the match award in the final test against the Aussies.
- The fact that he was chosen at centre fort Ireland's opening match down under highlights his all-round ability.
- I was intrigued as to why my ancestors were living down under.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.