In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1aguacero masculinochaparrón masculino
- Such activity frequently leads to heavy downpours and incidence of hail.
- The collapse occurred in the heavy downpours that marked the last two rainy seasons.
- Rain falls in sharp downpours, however, and doesn't preclude year-round tourism.
- Eastern Nebraska counties continue to show the benefits of heavy downpours since mid-June.
- Closer to home, in England's West Country, a man woke with a start when he found a deer lurking in his bedroom after a night of heavy downpours and gale force winds.
- Canyons fill up very quickly after a heavy downpour, although flash floods are not that common.
- Weather conditions were not kind to lake anglers this week with heavy downpours of rain accompanied by varying winds and gales at times.
- Unless they are speedily replaced, the road is liable to be interrupted in the first heavy downpours of the rainy season.
- The western regions of the vast central African nation have been deluged by heavy downpours as the rainy season gets into full swing.
- The scorching summer heat, heavy downpours, or chilly winters cannot dampen their spirits.
- We've been having some turbulent weather - torrential downpours and thunderstorms.
- One of the major reasons for the, often, very heavy showers and downpours that characterise April is the position of the jet stream.
- Some supercells produce little rain, others, downpours that can cause flash floods.
- We worked hard through droughts and downpours and no longer walked down to the far hayfield to dream.
- But newly hatched chicks had to endure unseasonably cold air temperatures with frequent heavy downpours of rain for much of June.
- Every time there is a heavy downpour the garden fills up with raw sewage and floodwater because of inadequate drains up the road.
- Even in thunderstorms and downpours the game continued, sometimes with just a brief break to allow the rain water to drain away.
- Quick downpours from summer thunderstorms can cause flash floods anywhere.
- On past experience this heatwave will end with a torrential downpour or a major thunderstorm, or both.
- During heavy monsoon downpours, the bunds naturally breached causing silt formation in tanks.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.