In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1río abajothe factory is downstream of the bridge — la fábrica está más allá del puente, río abajo
- After a few metres, you will find yourself in the stream a few metres downstream of the crawl up through the slot mentioned above.
- Water levels are low and the river downstream of the traps currently holds a large number of fish.
- No information was available on the effects of altered river flow on wetlands downstream.
- Match anglers on the Ouse this weekend are unlikely to find themselves doing battle with any barbel as most of the action is on the river downstream of York.
- When evenings are fair some good fishing is available at Holycross and Ballycamus on the River Suir, downstream of Thurles.
- The pegs on the main river just downstream of where the Darwen enters are also quit suitable for this and, I am happy to report, both have been fishing very well.
- The temperature of the air stream was measured just downstream of the dew point hygrometer using a thermocouple.
- A crew of 18 is assembled 50 river miles downstream of Lees Ferry in the Grand Canyon of the Colorado River.
- We sat along the banks of the Rappahannock River downstream of Fredericksburg for some time while the enemy lurked opposite us.
- All the report said was that the river had been polluted downstream of the sewerage works.
- With the rapid currents of the river that flowed downstream, people could place their supplies into many empty barrels and send them to the main camp site a few miles down.
- One of the best swims is situated downstream of the caravan park.
- At about the same time abnormal fish were noticed in rivers in southern England downstream of sewage works.
- As a result of water diversion from the upper Jordan by the Israel, there is no fresh water to flow downstream of Tiberias.
- The Lower Ure Championships drew a good entry of 65 to the river downstream of Boroughbridge.
- Furthermore, the fact that the river is walled on each side, downstream of bridge, and there are gateposts on the river is also interesting.
- The fish have been shoaled in the shallower, faster, water downstream of the numerous weirs that bear testament to the river's industrial heritage.
- I am downwind of the stream, downstream of the mountain.
- Our Deputy Head asked how far the river was navigable downstream of Hairatan.
- They deliberately biased their sample by examining stream and river systems downstream from urban or intense agricultural areas.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.