In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He was working as a draughtsman and he was only a young fellow, two years younger than me.
- An LMS senior draughtsman made the trip from Derby to Glasgow and back to see that all was well.
- A Government spokeswoman said it was being passed to a parliamentary draughtsman for completion and it would be revealed in the Dáil tomorrow.
- The former ESB draughtsman claimed that the brisk trade he was doing reflected how good he was at his job.
- He said in both cases they had been prepared by a parliamentary draughtsman, who was a former member of the AG's office.
- So, as I found out, Ernst Plischke came to New Zealand in 1939 and got a job as a draughtsman in the Housing Department.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.