In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She had to sit stock still a lot of the time, because of the pain, but she made it a style; in her finery, she was a dreamlike vision, a surrealist object.
- Everything took on a dreamlike sense of unreality, and faded into blackness.
- The general feeling is very organic, nostalgic and dreamlike without being overly psychedelic and retro.
- ‘It has this surreal, dreamlike quality but it's still within a genre,’ he explains.
- In the beginning it has an unreal, dreamlike quality to it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.