In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- She sat in front of her dressing table's mirror, a silver comb in her hand.
- Bridget laughed at my reaction and nodded solemnly before returning to checking her mascara in the dressing table mirror.
- On the first floor, the master suite has an open-plan dressing area lined with fitted wardrobes and a dressing table.
- There was a dressing table too, which meant the make-up could be organized.
- Five minutes later Amanda sat in front of the mirror of her dressing table aimlessly brushing her hair.
- Across the wall opposite the bed was a row of cupboards with a dressing table and a mirror in it.
- She looked at his reflection in the dressing table mirror as she unpinned her hair.
- When I had arranged these, with my hairbrush and other toilet articles on the dressing table, the place began to look quite homelike.
- I noticed the single oval mirror in my dressing table.
- Both have extensive wardrobes, chests of drawers and dressing tables.
- The range of ornamental furniture extends to cots, dressing tables and dining tables.
- Features in the bathroom include a corner bath with an overhead shower, a bidet and a vanity dressing table.
- I put them through my ears and then looked in the mirror over my dressing table.
- I went into my bedroom and found Milly already sitting in her chair doing her makeup in the dressing table mirror.
- This has built-in double wardrobes incorporating a dressing table and vanity unit.
- Next door, the second double bedroom is decorated in cream and includes fitted wardrobes, a dressing table and mirror.
- Looking up, she is at just the right level to stare at her face in her dressing table mirror.
- I put my lunchbox down and grabbed the hat that was on the dressing table next to the mirror.
- On the dressing table three rectangular mirrors reflected greyness from the garden.
- In the evening he stood beside me as I sat at my dressing table removing my make-up.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.