In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1hielo flotante masculino
- This choice allowed us to travel comfortably with the wind at our backs while viewing the constant vista of mountains and valleys, the ice-speckled Atlantic Ocean in the distance dotted with floes of drift ice from Quebec and Labrador.
- The boat transport of supplies back to the station rarely lacked dangerous moments from encounters with fast-moving drift ice and walruses.
- In August 1905, the ship resumed its course through fog and drift ice.
- Belhadan's location as the northernmost ice-free port of the Empire helped explain its importance, but it wasn't so far south that drift ice or icebergs were unheard of.
- In 1965, a sudden change occurred; drift ice and polar water covered the north Icelandic shelf during spring.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.