In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He had also been convicted twice before for drink-driving, so he had ample opportunities to mend his ways.
- When it comes to drink-driving, we all know the legal limits, but how can we similarly measure tiredness?
- More motorists were caught drink-driving in Greater Manchester this Christmas.
- Davis pleaded guilty to drink-driving and was banned from driving for 30 months.
- Scores of motorists have been caught drink-driving across North Yorkshire in the run-up to Christmas.
- It is equated with drink-driving, and the motoring organisations are not doing enough to restore a more balanced view.
- A driver convicted of drink-driving in a minibus faces the ruin of his family business unless he wins a Crown Court appeal.
- Don't consume more than the permitted alcohol allowance to avoid drink-driving.
- He was arrested on suspicion of drink-driving and bailed while further inquiries take place.
- French police found that Paul was over the legal limit for drink-driving at the time of the crash.
- She had been due to be sentenced for two drink-driving related offences committed while she was already banned for a third.
- They will contact the police immediately if someone fails to stop or are suspected of committing a crime such as drink-driving.
- He has been released on bail, pending analysis of a blood sample, for drink-driving.
- At the time of the chase, he was on bail for drink-driving and driving while banned.
- She was charged with drink-driving and pleaded guilty before magistrates, and was sentenced to a month in jail.
- In Florida, where I went on holiday recently, the police are equally tough on drink-driving.
- Two months later he was arrested a second time again dressed as a woman, and convicted of drink-driving.
- A motorist caught drink-driving twice in the same day has been spared prison.
- Most drug use is associated with excessive use of alcohol, so we will usually charge people with drink-driving.
- He also admitted riding without a driving licence and insurance, and had previous convictions for drink-driving.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.