In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(as expected, planned)permission was duly granted — el permiso fue concedido, como era de esperar
- he duly arrived at four — llegó a las cuatro, como estaba previsto
2(correctly, properly)debidamenteunless it is duly stamped — a menos que esté debidamente sellado
- your comments have been duly noted — se ha tomado debida nota de sus observaciones
- So long as the man holds the office, and exercises it duly and in accordance with law, his orders are not a nullity.
- These resolutions were duly authorized actions of the Board of Directors of the USACA.
- The penicillin duly arrived about midnight for the exclusive treatment of the young soldier.
- The sales leaflet for it duly arrived and circulated amongst the staff.
- She spoke on the phone to Joe and asked for a visiting order, which duly arrived on the following Thursday.
- I never trust a buyer until I have his contract in my hand, duly signed and witnessed.
- One has to produce a colour photograph of the family duly attested by the principal of the school.
- They were entitled to rely on the professional men to ensure that the estate was duly wound up in a proper manner.
- If he fail to answer the summons, let this be duly noted and he shall be required to find a pledge for his appearance.
- He said Sikhism had become one of the five religions duly recognised by the King!
- CDs were duly signed to finish things off and we have two to give away to lucky competition winners this week.
- However that is all idle speculation now as I have been duly called and plans have been duly made.
- It was news she failed to share with the voters who duly elected her.
- I duly called this software support line, trying to hurry through the process as quickly as possible.
- A birthday card was duly procured and signed, to the general amused delight of the table.
- He returned, we duly stuffed up one transfer form and set to work on the other.
- They were duly buried with full religious ceremony and laid to rest for a second time.
- It merely provides that the signature of an agent shall be acceptable, if he is otherwise duly authorised.
- Workers duly obliged and also insisted on the correct implementation of all the regulations.
- They want corrupt lawmakers to be ousted and duly punished under any circumstances.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.