In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Instead of counting dunghills, researchers have set up an array of microphones that record calls for three months at a time, yielding rich data about the animals' movements and communication.
- Police have whittled down a long list of suspects to just a handful in the hunt for the killer of a schoolgirl whose beaten body was found on a dungheap exactly 40 years ago today.
- Beyond this court the second passage led to a second square court, occupied in the same way by its dunghill; and from this court there was yet a third passage leading to a third court, and third dungheap.
- If we neatly dispose of our bodily waste products, we more easily forget that we are made of stuffs that end up on the dungheap.
- The yard was deserted except for an adolescent boy, apparently an imbecile, sunning himself on a dungheap and greeting imaginary travelers with sitting bows and words of welcome.
- Humans have always lived in a variety of types of site, from dungheaps to palaces, and it is an important aspect of archaeology to determine what kind of settlement people occupied.
- His body was later thrown on a dungheap, while the remains of the Inquisitor were given a ceremonial burial at the local church.
- The clothing and bedding of plague victims are particularly dangerous, as are wooden buildings, earthen floors, rubbish heaps, and dunghills.
- He loved crowds, and smoke and glare, and soot and dust and dunghills.
- In 1648 his remains were disinterred and buried under a dunghill, but after the Restoration they were restored to their original resting place.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.