In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- After many modifications, the end result is an extremely tough, durable and sturdy blade that retains a keen edge over many years.
- The car is not made of stainless steel but instead it's made of some kind of durable alloy that can withstand bullets and rocket-propelled grenades.
- Colonial hinged shutters are durable enough to withstand hurricane wind forces.
- One of the advantages of using furniture made of walnut wood from Kashmir was that it is hardwearing and durable.
- Any metal object requiring a strong, durable finish is a candidate for our electro static process.
- They must be durable enough to withstand extended use and exposure to a wide variety of fluids.
- They are simply not going to be able to maintain the durable equilibrium that market socialists want and believe possible.
- In connection to gloves, they are durable and the longer you wear them the more durable they get.
- But so far, at least, neither campaign has produced a durable peace.
- Intensely beautiful, this is also a durable plant, even resisting the attention of grazing deer.
- The emphasis in children's wear is still firmly on fun, wearable and durable clothes - but they are trendy too.
- He also wears durable yet comfortable black nylon pants and thick sneakers.
- The rubber used is durable and strong so as it will not tear, expand or warp out of shape.
- The fabric is water-resistant and durable, capable of withstanding any elements you may encounter on your adventures.
- This research will help breeders develop wheat with durable resistance to this disease.
- Cloth bags are sturdier and more durable than either plastic bags or paper bags, and are also very environmentally friendly.
- Polished plaster is hard-wearing and durable, needing only occasional dusting and an annual re-wax.
- While coatings are durable, they do wear and their reflectivity decreases with age.
- One is to replace worn out parts in your vehicle with tough and durable replacement auto parts.
- The real issue is not what individuals choose to do, but the strong cultural pressures that have weakened the foundation for durable relationships.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.