In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1literario(habitation)morada femenino literario
- When the shot rang out, residents in the area stormed from their dwellings to see what was going on.
- The planning brief for the site originally envisaged 180 residential dwellings.
- On the way you pass through the sprawl of makeshift dwellings that are home to tens of thousands of squatters.
- The row house, a series of attached dwellings, was a common form of housing.
- She would like to see a block or two of typical residential dwellings from each era of the city preserved somewhere in the city.
- Caravans or mobile homes will not be permitted for use as permanent dwellings.
- They are among the oldest dwellings in the local authority housing stock.
- Between them they will provide 15 dwellings in a mix of one and two bedroom flats and houses.
- Up the road from that particular house there are even more spectacular dwellings.
- There might be a way to adapt the house to divide it into two separate dwellings.
- Some homeowners have even traded down from more expensive abodes to less pricey dwellings.
- Many residents of the settlement strive to make their dwellings habitable.
- Modern homes are replacing traditional dwellings both in the country and the city.
- To do that we'd have to make the dwellings smaller and semi-detached, but that would reduce the value considerably.
- Naturally the dwellings for the resident Spaniards were modelled on their counterparts in Spain.
- The dwellings had no gardens and no provisions were made for dustbins or sheds etc.
- Their homes were invariably humble dwellings, without even a proper chair for a guest or a visitor.
- Permission for residential dwellings in a zone designated for industrial use should never have been granted.
- By chance, the restaurant is housed in a former dwelling place occupied by a Dutch family and built in mid 1800s.
- It's no good saying that the solution is to rip up everything and instead build high-density dwellings in urban centres.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.