In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1terremoto masculinosismo masculino América Latinaseísmo masculino España
- This earthquake was the seventh in a series of repeating earthquakes on this stretch of the fault.
- A lifetime of earthquakes and landslides and volcanos and floods have changed the landscape as we once knew it.
- Nine on the Richter scale indicates an earthquake of absolutely awesome destructive power.
- This displacement manifests itself through destructive earthquakes along the North Anatolian Fault.
- The small country of El Salvador suffered two devastating earthquakes in one month.
- This is one of the most destructive earthquakes of the twentieth century.
- British earthquakes concentrate along a similar north-south belt, with the strongest events in the west.
- The violent earthquake unleashed itself under the sea near northern Indonesia on December 26.
- It was the end of a week in which the number of earthquakes near the volcano grew significantly.
- Sunday's quake was both an aftershock of last year's tremor, and an earthquake in its own right.
- When it came to measuring these big earthquakes, the Richter scale fell short.
- Within days of the earthquake she had been flown out of the country and was back home with her parents.
- As the plates grind against one another, earthquakes are triggered along the fault.
- We have had small earthquakes that have shaken the earth before, though nothing of that magnitude.
- There are worries that there could be an aftershock earthquake, which could trigger another tsunami.
- Tsunamis are waves formed when huge masses of water are displaced by undersea volcanic eruptions or earthquakes.
- Every year, hundreds of minor earthquakes occur and some are felt in this the region.
- About twice a year people feel still smaller earthquakes that do not cause damage.
- They are subject to periodic earthquakes and volcanic activity that can destabilize them.
- The two earthquakes struck within days of each other, unleashing roughly the same devastating power.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.