In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1reflujo masculinothe ebb and flow of the tide — el flujo y reflujo (de la marea)
- the tide was on the ebb — la marea estaba bajando
- We passed the immense coastal inlet where at ebb tide dead rats and rusting machinery are visible.
- At Nigali Passage this kind of information is vital; the clear ocean water flows in the pass on the ebb, while most of the lagoon is emptying through the northern passes.
- If the ground you are casting onto has areas of broken rocky ground or shallow reef, then fish will feed through the ebb tide as well.
- The tide was on the ebb, the sand was firm and wide.
- Hairy crabs would be attracted by the light and crawl upwards during the flood tide, where they would be trapped after the ebb.
- This makes it dangerous in onshore winds between east and south, particularly during ebb tides.
- When the tide is on the ebb it falls back into isolated channels.
- If you must go out on to the sands go out when the tide is on the ebb so that if you do get stuck we have a chance of getting you out.
- Also note that I have referred to eastward and westward currents rather than flood and ebb tides.
- This weekend the beach will be sporting kites that will carry their surfing occupants at speeds of 80 to 100 miles an hour along the shallows of the ebb tide.
- The hardest thing about this lock is if you have a boat coming in on the ebb tide.
- Three hours before high water is a good time; dive on the ebb and there is a good chance of being swept out round the headland.
- Feeding activity is regulated by the ebb tide when fresh seaweed is most readily available.
- These observations suggest that some individuals occasionally stray off of the marsh surface, or are inadvertently transported to the lower intertidal zone during ebb tides.
- This may the basis for many species of coral fishes refuging in reef structures at the height of the ebb and flood, and swimming and feeding around slack tides.
- The school appeared to swim upstream with the rising tide each day and went back out to sea on the ebb tide where they could be seen about a mile off the land.
- Far from the island we waded through a waist deep channel of fast flowing ebb tide, then climbed onto a hard bank of rippled sand.
- Visibility is better at high tide, as the ebb tide brings down silt from the river.
- The narrow road follows the edge of the fjord-like Loch Long which can run like a river, especially at its narrowest point when filling up on the flow tide or draining on the ebb.
1(tide) bajar(tide) retrocederto ebb and flow — fluir y refluir
- The tide was still ebbing furiously and the course lay once again upwind, and for a few minutes I amused some onlooking fisherman by not making any headway at all.
- She explains that the animals instinctively know when the tide is ebbing, and thus when to come down to the shore to graze.
- When the tide ebbs, the women rush to the beach to dig for clams.
- The tide that had risen some time ago, the house had sunk in it, but now the water had ebbed and the man was where he should have been - on the shore.
- I'm going to paint among the wild flowers of oak woods - primroses, bluebells, anemones and wild garlic, above an estuary as the tide ebbs and flows.
- When the high water ebbs and the water in the lagoon and the sea reach the same level, the gates are filled once again with water until they return to their original position.
- The wind is blowing fresh out of the east, funneling up the river, and the tide is ebbing hard, setting up a steep chop.
- As long as the tide ebbed, eels were leaving the marshes and running out to sea.
- These might contain a couple of feet of water or a mere stream when the tide ebbs, but quickly become deep, surging rivers of seawater when it flows.
- The tide ebbs and flows, the winds and rains wear them away.
- I breathe deeply and slowly, and gradually the sinking feeling ebbs and I lift my head.
- Her strength was ebbing, but she seemed ever more focused and determined.
- He sighed, a bit of the anger ebbing away from his countenance.
- Alyssa had put her hand on his shoulder, her laughter slowly ebbing away.
- The cold in her body began to ebb away leaving a total numbness.
- Emily's tension slowly began to ebb away at Brett's caress but she still felt bad; she had ruined a wonderful afternoon with her stupidity.
- Cuddling into his warmth, she allowed her eyes to close as her anger ebbed until it faded completely, leaving a small twinge of guilt in its wake.
- But the surprise in his eyes soon faded to sadness, and the sadness ebbed away to emptiness.
- All became silent for Luke and Aaron as they slowly felt their energy ebb away.
- At this point, you're tired, stressed, and your confidence has ebbed.
- I felt my anger slowly ebb away at the sound of pure concerned in the deep tenor of his voice.
- His functional strength ebbs and flows with his opinion poll ratings.
- But after the initial wave of shock and anger ebbed, Rogers had a different idea.
- The pain had already begun to ebb, and she drifted easily off to sleep.
- He grabbed it and rubbed his funny bone vigorously until the pain ebbed.
- I closed my eyes and gradually felt the hurt and disappointment ebbing away when I felt his arms enveloping me, encasing me in his warmth.
- She exhaled, relieved as the pain ebbed; groaned as it started again.
- Her confidence ebbed slightly under his doubt, but she didn't let it show.
- I felt my anger ebb away and a feeling of shame come over me.
- And then, just as their sense of danger began to ebb, she hurled herself at them, singling out the most vulnerable as she charged.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.