1.1(economic state of country)economía femeninothe economy is picking up — la economía se está recuperando
- the state of the economy — la situación económica
- Togo's stagnant, underdeveloped economy is largely dependent on agricultural exports.
- China's economy slowed more than expected in the second quarter.
- The slowing global economy has weakened demand for Japan's high-technology exports, causing manufacturers to cut production and workers.
- Corporate profitability and the profit share in the economy remain relatively strong.
- But this would, in all likelihood, push the economy into a recession.
- Economically, coffee production came to dominate as Colombian insertion into the world market economy depended on this export commodity.
- The country's market economy is based largely on agriculture.
- He reiterated the nation's economy is rebounding and that the government will continue to support growth.
- As their home countries' economies grow and populations age, these flows are likely to get smaller.
- Even a sluggish economy isn't likely to dampen the outlook for these Internet start-ups.
- The city's economy depends on the flow of trade between the United States and Canada.
- China's economy expanded 9.5 percent in the fourth quarter from the year earlier period.
- What's more, strong job growth suggests that a region's economy is expanding.
- As the city's economy continues to rapidly expand, the housing market booms.
- The global capitalist economy remains the most important transnational force in the world today.
- In 2003, the nation's economy expanded 6.9 percent.
- On its most reliable measure Japan's stagnant economy grew by a surprising 0.6 % over the same period.
- The city's economy is booming, but the divide between the rich and everyone else is widening.
- The integrated oil companies could also benefit as global economies continue to recover.
- A recent shutdown at US docks nearly dragged the region's economies into recession.
1.2(economic system)economía femeninoa mixed/market economy — una economía mixta/de mercado
- Deforestation set in motion a series of environmental changes that undermined the subsistence economy of the region.
- The government has to start taking advantage of today's capitalist economy.
- Rather, traditional trade unionists from militant areas of the private economy turned out to support a system that suits them.
- As always, it's a much neater and efficient system than a centralized economy.
- The internet economy will be transformed by this second stage of barrier reduction.
- But declarations of support for the capitalist economy and the profit system were not enough.
- Overnight, it could become the delivery system of the digital economy.
- It was an arrangement that covered most people, but with Deng Xiaoping's move to a market economy, the system was doomed.
- If you take the long view, the commodity economy passes through three stages.
- Now that the market economy has become the system of choice for more and more countries, a key political concern must be to locate the faultline.
- The farm economy in valley is dependent on the canal irrigation system which feeds tens of thousands of acres of land across the valley.
- A booming rural economy, they hope, will boost the demand for industrial goods.
2.1(saving)to make economies — ahorrar
2.2(thrift)economía femenino(size) (before noun) familiara model noted for its fuel economy — un modelo que (se) destaca por su bajo consumo de gasolina
- economy of language/effort — economía de lenguaje/esfuerzo
- to fly economy class — volar en clase turista
- we're on an economy drive / (informal) kick — estamos tratando de ahorrar
- economy pack — envase económico / familiar
- The transmission allows automatic scheduling of engine speed and transmission ratio for fuel economy.
- As well as giving an impressive blend of performance and economy, the new engine is also quiet.
- We're trying to achieve higher targets of engine fuel economy, for example.
- After that you change over to synthetic oil for a small gain in power, fuel economy, and engine longevity.
- He was known for his economy of words, and for his ability to let the pictures do the work.
- GM estimates that direct injection can improve gas engine fuel economy by 10 percent.
- And as their popularity has grown, overall U.S. fuel economy and gas consumption have gotten worse.
- Now the technology is there to boost fuel economy without sacrificing size or performance.
- It is super-luxurious, completely comfortable, but for the size of engine the fuel economy is actually quite good.
- As well as excellent fuel economy it also allows the company driver to avoid the three per cent benefit in kind diesel surcharge.
- It is equipped with particulate filter, and combines low emissions with good economy and excellent performance.
- In the auto-shift mode the system chooses the most logical gear for engine speed and fuel economy at any time.
- What marks out Benaud's commentary is not just his absolute economy of words, but his unerring eye for a story.
- So they're refined to drive, exhibit a bit of style and deliver excellent fuel economy.
- Diesel engines also average about 15 percent better fuel economy over gasoline engines.
- Of course, many people are in favour of improving fuel economy, so are these safety concerns well-founded?
- When it is your own home, you can pick the appliances you want and monitor your bills carefully to get good economy from gas and electricity.
- Fuel economy is excellent on a long run, up to 70 mpg, and even in the city you will get upwards of 43 mpg.
- Eaton expects the device to boost fuel economy by letting the engine idle during initial acceleration.
- It is the one way to get fuel economy, emissions and performance improvement in the same package.
- Despite his miss, Sheringham was still one of the better players in claret and blue, achieved, as always, with great economy of effort.
- Skill, in any sport, is the ability of the player to execute a technique with economy of effort.
- Selection for economy means that smaller cells must have smaller nuclei.
- The extra gears will improve low speed performance and increase fuel economy.