In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There have been two new developments: first a massive mixing of previously separated flora and fauna; and second a rising impact of pollution on the ecosphere.
- What they don't test for are the problems they haven't thought of, and if those problems emerge in the ecosphere there won't be much point testing for them.
- These constraints are crucial for climate modelling, in addition to governing the response of the emerging ecosphere to climatic forcing.
- I have a minor in biology, so I spent some amount of time studying how easy it is to start a process where you release some new strain of bacteria into an ecosphere and how little things add up.
- We remember our dependency in the web of life and our discipleship role in the ecosphere.
- Bioregionalism offers a more useful and sensible axis for political engagement, with one's watershed being the epicenter and the ecosphere being the furthest extension of concern.
- One key is developing better technology; another is placing proper economic values on the ecosphere and its components.
- Unless we recognize that the ecosphere is our organic whole and that we are a species inextricably linked to it, we are open to the illusion that we are separate, invulnerable and in control.
- Many of the radionuclides will persist in the ecosphere for many decades and will cause chronic human exposure through external radiation, inhalation, and ingestion.
- Nor, of course, can individuals, families, and communities, survive if the order of the natural world or the ecosphere is destroyed, as even the most extreme adept of the cult of selfishness will soon realise.
- But, when murder is rampant upon the earth, we butcher the ecosphere and, indeed, the cosmos also.
- That is why the danger to democracy takes primacy over other perils that are in themselves greater, including nuclear war and irreversible damage to the ecosphere through global warming.
- Crucially, the ecosphere provides the ecological goods (eg food, fibre) and services (eg climate control, atmospheric gas balance, soil stabilisation, pollination) that underwrite human survival and wellbeing.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.