In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- For spirits to appear, for ectoplasm to emanate, for UFOs to descend, darkness is essential.
- By contrast, ectoplasm photographs depict a human medium in the throes of violent struggle with an invisible entity.
- The Baldwins also have a small collection of photos containing what appears to be ectoplasm.
- She began to feel terribly cold as she plummeted through the depths of the pond, feeling its matter travel through her body, through her skin and bones and internal organs like some ghostly ectoplasm.
- The fact that these ectoplasms are not living is not an objection at all: there is nothing to prevent us from admitting that the ectoplasm may be merely an image, and not a living being.
- Physical manifestations or ‘materializations’ of spirits are also said to be produced by ectoplasm.
- I do believe in one of the photos it does show some dust, but the rest look like ectoplasm with orbs.
- The third way in which ectoplasm images articulate the referentiality of photography via the body builds upon the first two.
- He dominates this show from the start, greeting you on a huge screen with his upside-down face, spewing out six metres of gauze like some psychic medium ejecting ectoplasm.
- He shudders as Jack leaves his body, trailing ectoplasm and humming ‘I'm the Wolf.’
- Like other radiolarians, the cytoplasm of Polycystinea is divided into ectoplasm and endoplasm by a perforated protein capsule - not the nuclear membrane, but a novel structure unique to this group.
- Most photographs of ectoplasm make it look like the kind of stuff you could pick up at the local yardage store or buy from Amazon.
- The question then arose of how the dead could influence the physical world, and one answer was that they used a substance called ectoplasm.
- This entity was supposed to be a manifestation or thought-form akin to the ectoplasm that is generated by mediums while in a trance state.
- Most acanthareans have a fibrous capsule separating endoplasm and ectoplasm.
- Later I discovered that the carpet was drenched with a foul smelling liquid that I can only assume is ectoplasm.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.