In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Another step forward was the progressive declarations of invalidity extended to certain laws, decrees, and edicts issued in Stalin's time.
- On 12 February 1912 an edict of abdication was issued on behalf of the child Emperor.
- Sure, my son can ask for a reason after I issue one of my edicts.
- Issuing edicts founded on the false premise that whatever the bishop declares to be a mortal sin is a mortal sin is not teaching.
- The word bull is still used in English for a Papal Bull, an edict issued by the Pope.
- It is easy to issue laws and edicts, particularly when there is no need to gain the consent of elected or appointed representatives.
- Apart from royal edicts on certain general issues, the king's domains were subject to no law and no administrative practice common to them all without exception.
- And would the pope issue edicts blaming the United States for bringing the whole tragedy upon itself?
- Each time the religious institution issues custom-made edicts for political purposes, it loses credibility.
- However, much more paradoxical edicts were issued under the totalitarian regime.
- The bureaucracy in Beijing issues edicts on mine safety but does not provide the necessary funds.
- Word of this soon reached the British top brass, who sent down an official edict ordering that the practice cease immediately.
- An imperial edict against infanticide was issued by Valentinian in 374- making an exception for the very poor.
- He issued an edict that there will be no flight training at any of the Chicago-owned airports.
- An edict was issued to this effect and by 1636, France had a navy of nearly 40 ships.
- You can issue an edict to cut taxes, which really helps boost your population's happiness.
- Although government clerics often issue edicts against terror, the bulk of the government's effort has been security-related.
- Clerics issued religious edicts against the British when they invaded Iraq during the First World War.
- That apparently was too much for the Taliban government, which then issued its edict.
- Finally he issued an edict, prohibiting the smoking of tobacco throughout the New Netherlands.
2(order)mandato masculinoorden femenino
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.