In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It is a kind of effervescent drink that you make by adding water to the crystals and it is supposed to ‘pick you up’ and get you ready to go when you have had too much to drink the night before.
- The original root beer was a low-alcohol, naturally effervescent drink made by fermenting a blend of sugar and yeast with various roots, herbs and barks, such as sarsaparilla, sassafras, wild cherry, wintergreen, vanilla and ginger.
- It's effervescent and sparkly, but like champagne it can become indigestible after prolonged exposure.
- The effervescent and heady drink is retailed in two air-conditioned halls of this outlet, which is frequented by a growing segment of young professionals and students.
- He raised his glass, looked at the clear, effervescent liquid with the light glinting invitingly through it, swirled it a little, inhaled approvingly, and took a cautious sip, but he didn't swallow immediately.
2(personality) efervescenteto be effervescent — estar eufórico
- Yet, along with the soaring voices and jaunty hand-clapping of La La La Song, Low seem in effervescent, ebullient mood.
- The effervescent and downright bubbly host has evolved from just another flirtatious cable TV personality into a globe-trotting media mogul.
- Paula's distinctive art is everywhere, adding colour and a light-hearted atmosphere that reflects her effervescent personality.
- He is bubbly, effervescent, and clearly chock full of manic energy.
- Monica will bring to these concerts the fruits of her demanding approach in rehearsal, her natural virtuosity as a player and her effervescent, charismatic musicianship.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.