In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Psicologíathe ego — el yo
- It talked about relaxing the grip of your ego and emptying your mind.
- Jung also found that in practice both anima and animus act in dreams and in the imagination as mediators of the unconscious to the ego, so providing a means for inner as well as outer adaptation.
- The effects of a shift in identity from the ego to the inner self are dramatic and remarkable.
- Letting go of the ego, the persona, the rational mind is a central experience in mystical traditions.
- So what if perception is warped by our egos and reality is warped by perception?
2(self-regard)amor propio masculinoego masculinoto damage sb's ego — herir a algn en su amor propio
- to deflate sb's ego — bajarle los humos a algn
- to boost sb's ego — alimentar el ego de algn
- He argues that the male ego is increasingly fragile, with sexual performance at the root of it.
- I mean, that's got to hurt a guy's ego.
- It is very flattering and a big boost to the ego to receive compliments from someone like Stacey Jones.
- You can no longer rely on his ineptitude to prop up your fragile ego.
- Your natural reactions to circumstances encourage success and the healthy growth of your ego and self-esteem.
- After having dominated a sport for some time, that would have been a huge knock to her ego, to her self-esteem as a player and a person.
- And if others notice you, it might polish your bruised ego a little.
- Some weeks, your ego gets a little boost when someone sends you an e-mail about something you wrote or approaches you in person.
- Being in a relationship is a boost to the ego, and being dumped is devastating to it - at least if you're me.
- But shhh, you have to pretend otherwise, or you'll bruise their fragile egos.
- This completely shattered my pride and punctured my ego and self-respect.
- And I've heard whispers that another girl I work with has her eyes on me, which is helping to boost my ego a little…
- My ego is nicely boosted now, more so because I didn't expect it to happen.
- A couple of bruised male egos later I and about 11 other guys made the team.
- If I do get all of that done and sorted out properly my meetings tend to go very well, and that's a big big boost to my ego.
- Being outsmarted by a girl can really hurt a guy's ego.
- She has called to ask me out to dinner: big boost to my male ego.
- It's no surprise he can't cope with sudden huge wealth, press intrusion and hoards of ‘yes men’ boosting his ego.
- If a teacher starts in on a child about religion or other such things or starts to shun a child, it is very damaging to the ego and to the self esteem.
- A car, psychologists tell us, is an extension of man's ego.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.