In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Psicologíathe ego — el ego
- So what if perception is warped by our egos and reality is warped by perception?
- Jung also found that in practice both anima and animus act in dreams and in the imagination as mediators of the unconscious to the ego, so providing a means for inner as well as outer adaptation.
- It talked about relaxing the grip of your ego and emptying your mind.
- Letting go of the ego, the persona, the rational mind is a central experience in mystical traditions.
- The effects of a shift in identity from the ego to the inner self are dramatic and remarkable.
2(self-regard)amor propio masculinoego masculinoto damage sb's ego — herir a algn en su amor propio
- to deflate sb's ego — bajarle los humos a algn
- to boost sb's ego — alimentar el ego de algn
- If I do get all of that done and sorted out properly my meetings tend to go very well, and that's a big big boost to my ego.
- She has called to ask me out to dinner: big boost to my male ego.
- Some weeks, your ego gets a little boost when someone sends you an e-mail about something you wrote or approaches you in person.
- Your natural reactions to circumstances encourage success and the healthy growth of your ego and self-esteem.
- It's no surprise he can't cope with sudden huge wealth, press intrusion and hoards of ‘yes men’ boosting his ego.
- This completely shattered my pride and punctured my ego and self-respect.
- He argues that the male ego is increasingly fragile, with sexual performance at the root of it.
- But shhh, you have to pretend otherwise, or you'll bruise their fragile egos.
- It is very flattering and a big boost to the ego to receive compliments from someone like Stacey Jones.
- A car, psychologists tell us, is an extension of man's ego.
- You can no longer rely on his ineptitude to prop up your fragile ego.
- Being outsmarted by a girl can really hurt a guy's ego.
- Being in a relationship is a boost to the ego, and being dumped is devastating to it - at least if you're me.
- I mean, that's got to hurt a guy's ego.
- My ego is nicely boosted now, more so because I didn't expect it to happen.
- A couple of bruised male egos later I and about 11 other guys made the team.
- And I've heard whispers that another girl I work with has her eyes on me, which is helping to boost my ego a little…
- If a teacher starts in on a child about religion or other such things or starts to shun a child, it is very damaging to the ego and to the self esteem.
- After having dominated a sport for some time, that would have been a huge knock to her ego, to her self-esteem as a player and a person.
- And if others notice you, it might polish your bruised ego a little.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.