In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Of course, being well-off does not necessarily breed egoism.
- In the language of flowers, the narcissus stands for vanity and egoism.
- For others, he symbolises all that is rotten within Sri Lankan cricket politics: a man driven by egoism and self-interest.
- The egoism of retired presidents to keep the parties that they founded or co-founded immortal will play a significant role.
- When people are made to hear of the social violence that exists in their own communities they can escape the gravitational pull of blinkered egoism and begin to work together.
- Deliberately to distance oneself from others behind miles of park wall is an act of supreme egoism.
- We have families where the parents behave like the kids, families where the kids behave like the parents, families where love rules and families where egoism is king.
- Hobbes accepted that human beings are capable of generosity, kindness, and co-operation but the pride and egoism which is inherent in human nature means that mankind also is prone to conflict, violence, and great evil.
- Parents and teachers should also closely cooperate with each other to arm children with the " spirit of citizenship " so as to help them grow learning to help others and share rather than being encapsulated in strict egoism.
- That is why, little children, be open to God's love and leave egoism and sin.
- Step by step, as I was awakened to examine my egoism and tried to come out of the selfish cave, so I could gradually appreciate the beauty of interdependence and interrelationship for the sake of proclaiming higher values.
- Ben countered that in its teaching that the individual must overcome egoism and the yearnings of self, Kabbalah shows how to put a clamp on one's thoughts.
- The core issue is finding a system for fixing our escalating egoism, which is becoming more evident with each passing generation.
- His arrogance, egoism and desperate need for womanising, are as well known as his genius.
- The man shows a shocking amount of egoism - not that it's shocking that he's egotistical, it's just surprising that he lets it show so blatantly.
- The ability for a couple to marry is based on each one controlling innate egoism and narcissism.
- Simple stubbornness and egoism can't explain everything - Ralph is too smart and too worldwise for that, even if his followers aren't.
- The brash egoism of 20 years ago has been replaced with a more gracious dignity.
- And not only does suffering make Christians closer to God by breaking down the sufferer's stubborn egoism, it also serves to act as a kind of billboard advertising God's love for all.
- It is also time to take stock of inner weaknesses such as egoism.
- Reason, applied consistently, doesn't lead us down a straight path to egoism, much less to capitalism.
- Psychological egoism claims that each person has but one ultimate aim: her own welfare.
- Industrial society brought new problems: soulless individualism, economic egoism, utilitarianism, materialism and the cash nexus.
- He thought in Darwinian terms of the struggle of nations for survival and preached ' national egoism '.
- One issue concerns how much ethical egoism differs in content from standard moral theories.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.