In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Political parties are voluntary associations with the egotistic aim of imposing their notion of how society should be ordered upon their fellow citizens.
- He is possessed of an enormous amount of self-confidence, but I don't believe he is egotistic in the normal, widely understood sense.
- Maybe I'm egotistic, but I do it for myself, not for anyone else.
- We can all create differences at some kind of level, but it is egotistic to think we can make some major changes.
- It will take him time to overcome his egotistic ways, and until then someone must protect those who he refuses to help.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.