In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mayorde edadancianoan elderly lady — una señora mayor / de edad
- many of the residents are elderly — muchos de los residentes son mayores / ancianos / de edad
- This could lead to more elderly people being forced to stay in emergency beds, with nowhere to go.
- It would exclude blood relatives such as an elderly brother and sister living together.
- Quite frankly, it disgusts me and I do not feel enough is done for elderly people.
- Bogus callers are using a new scam to trick their way into the homes of elderly people in Chelmsford.
- The surrounding houses and flats are occupied by elderly people and young families.
- The scheme is aimed at getting elderly people out of their homes and into a social environment.
- Police are now warning other elderly people in Blackley to be on their guard against the crooks.
- One urgent aspect the committee needs to look at is access for disabled and elderly people.
- To abandon elderly people for weeks on end in a hospital bed they no longer need strips them of dignity.
- The article states that there are plans to cut travel passes for elderly people.
- Two historic almshouses have been put up for sale as they are no longer suitable for elderly people.
- The dogs were bred as guide dogs for elderly people who suffered from allergies.
- It was being driven by an elderly lady with grey hair and had a female passenger with long, dark hair.
- Running post offices for the benefit of elderly people is not cost effective, so go they must.
- Looking at this situation there is a real risk to elderly people and their welfare must be a priority.
- It was used on Saturday and Monday and the card users were described as three elderly people.
- If you have an elderly neighbour or relative, look out for them in the winter months.
- It also has a night centre where elderly people with dementia can be cared for.
- Police are hunting for a gang of burglars who are targeting elderly people in west Wiltshire.
- In addition, an increased number of elderly people would like to remain in their own homes.
1the elderly — los ancianos
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.