In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The mass acted upon by the coil elements can be a permanent magnet or magnets, or electromagnets.
- By experimenting with magnets and electromagnets it was learnt how a motor is turned by electricity.
- Finally, after calibration of the apparatus, the force acting on the particle can be determined by measuring the currents driving the electromagnets.
- Other rhenium alloys are used in making temperature control devices, such as thermostats; vacuum tubes, like those in a television set; and electromagnets, electrical contacts, and thermocouples.
- As early as 1826 the inventor of the electromagnet William Sturgeon had tried to open pallets with his invention.
- Plus, he says, their carbon cores could make them stronger than steel, so an electromagnet made from the wires wouldn't need a heavy structure to support it.
- This, for instance, is how we ordinarily think of the magnetic field of an electromagnet, which is sustained only so long as an electric current passes through the magnet's coils.
- In order to generate a magnetic field that can be said to propagate, it is necessary to produce a changing field by turning on an electromagnet or removing a magnet from a magnetic shield such as a superconducting box.
- In the simplest case, the wires carrying the electrical signals are used to form an electromagnet which attracts and releases a metal diaphragm.
- If you are having trouble finding a magnet around the house, two possible sources include a can opener and an electromagnet that you make yourself.
- During braking, the metal wheels are exposed to a magnetic field from an electromagnet, generating eddy currents in the wheels.
- It is this small magnetic field that is the basis of an electromagnet.
- Magnets, either conventional electromagnets or superconducting magnets, are placed along the accelerator tube at regular intervals.
- As these charged particles swirl, they generate magnetic fields just the way electrons moving in an electromagnet's coiled wire do.
- A power supply for applying a voltage to a scanning electromagnet for deflecting a charged particle beam has a first power supply unit having no filter and a second power supply unit having a filter.
- When cooled to extremely low temperatures, electromagnets demonstrate an unusual behavior: For the first few nanoseconds after electricity is applied to them, they vibrate.
- They mounted two flat, semicircular metal chambers between the faces of a powerful electromagnet.
- What difference does voltage make in the strength of an electromagnet?
- It is also used for magnetic poles of electromagnets.
- Modern circular accelerators place klystrons and electromagnets around a circular copper tube to speed up particles.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.