In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The emperor and empress earlier in the day met with the king, who has been discharged from the hospital.
- The emperor and empress will leave Tokyo on May 7 and arrive in Dublin later that day.
- Imperialism meant a state with an emperor, a ruler using military power to conquer other people.
- For a century and a half, under three great emperors, the Qing Dynasty grew in wealth and territory.
- The grand dukes became the tsars of Muscovy, who in turn became emperors of the Russian Empire.
- The first of the Mughal emperors, Babur, in spite of his keen aesthetic sense, did not have the time to embark upon a concerted program of building.
- China's emperors and empresses knew what they wanted.
- The Qing collections were among the finest ever assembled, fitting the scale of the empire over which the emperors ruled.
- A good road system also made it easier for the emperors to control their empire as messages and orders could be sent quickly.
- The most mystical of shades, purple, has been preferred by kings, queens and emperors throughout history.
- The Forbidden City was the palace of Ming and Qing emperors and off-limits to ordinary Chinese citizens for 500 years.
- Its rulers called themselves Roman emperors and its subjects were Roman citizens subject to Roman law.
- It is characteristic that between 1025 and 1081, the empire had twelve emperors but only five patriarchs.
- Akbar is also the name of one of the Mughal emperors.
- The king is expected to invite the emperor and empress to a private dinner at his palace on Wednesday.
- At the end of the passage, there is a big hillock, under which the first Qing emperor and empress are buried.
- That's why, for much of history, furs and skins from the more aggressive carnivores have been an essential part of the ceremonial dress of kings, emperors and dictators.
- In theory, all the princes in the Holy Roman Empire were subservient to the emperor.
- The exterior was decorated at the top with glistening gilded bronze shields, and the arches were filled with painted statues of emperors and gods.
- Kings, queens, and emperors were slow to learn the lesson that money is for using, not hoarding.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.