In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1pingüino emperador masculinopingüino real masculino
- I ended the book with a photograph of an emperor penguin chick from the Antarctic.
- It was also thought that the emperor penguin was the most primitive of existing birds, so the contents of the penguin's eggs might reveal the evolutionary origin of birds.
- That astonishing insulation is critical because not only do emperor penguins rear their young in the extreme Antarctic environment - they do it while fasting.
- The only apex predators that live year-round at high latitudes of the Ross Sea are the Weddell seal and emperor penguin.
- Unexpectedly, a large emperor penguin came sliding in from miles away to watch us.
- Adelies are one of only two penguin species, the other being the emperor penguin, that breed on the shores of the Antarctic continent.
- Of the 17 species of penguins, the largest is the emperor penguin: At 4 feet tall and 65 to 90 pounds, it is about three times the size of the smallest.
- Raging hormones might help explain why female emperor penguins that have lost a baby sometimes kidnap the chick of another.
- The emperor penguin is the largest penguin species and also one of the few found in Antarctica.
- An emperor penguin is a hefty bird, weighing about forty pounds - in the same range as the flightless South American rhea, which is similar to an ostrich.
- Only one bird - the emperor penguin - will winter on Antarctica and use the frozen continent as a nursery.
- But what really fascinates, and confounds, scientists is the emperor penguin's abilities as a deep-sea diver.
- Love, it turns out, has very little to do with the mating habits of the emperor penguin.
- Ponganis, the emperor penguin expert, says increased tourism may have negative effects on penguin populations.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.