In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1emplazamiento masculinoa gun emplacement — un emplazamiento de artillería
- Unit members claim that a man strolling up to the gun emplacement, spotted their observation post and ‘went for his weapon’.
- Although already wounded, he left the comparative safety of his position and made a daring charge against the machine-gun emplacement.
- Meanwhile, small groups of airborne troops destroyed bridges and gun emplacements, and captured crossroads and routes inland.
- Redundant concrete gun emplacements vie with majestic mountains for the attention of tourist cameras.
- Throughout the map, you'll discover heavily armed bunkers, guard towers and emplacements to fend off your foes' offensives from land, sea or air.
- The national guard was called in and set up sandbagged machine gun emplacements downtown.
- They operated up to 12 miles behind enemy lines, looking for hidden enemy targets such as artillery and mortar positions, anti-aircraft emplacements, bunker systems and storage caves.
- Old World War II gun emplacements and observation towers rust and crumble silently.
- A howitzer is a field artillery piece, used primarily to attack enemy personnel, fortifications, and artillery emplacements.
- Crouching down, he could see the enemy's machine-gun emplacement.
- His platoon, attacking heavily fortified and strategically located hostile emplacements, had been stopped by intense fire from a large bunker containing several firing posts.
- On each corner of the warehouses roof were sandbagged machine gun emplacements, which were manned twenty four hours a day and provided the first line in the facility's defence.
- Concrete emplacements were built but they were few and far between with each emplacement having little ability to give any other covering fire.
- Looking out of the bus window, I saw tank traps, sandbagged trenches, tank emplacements, barbed wire, low flying copters.
- Coalition air forces also strike long-range artillery emplacements, air defense sites and surface-to-surface missile sites.
- The captured defensive installations and stationary weapon emplacements can then be used for your side.
- Deployment of weapons and combat hardware in emplacements reduces the probability of their detection two to three times.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.