In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- During training, he spends most of his time watching the Russian prisoners encamped next to the training camp.
- James's army, encamped near the Boyne river, was further reinforced by additional French contingents.
- When they encamped on the hill they made no attempt to fortify it.
- There they were, soldiers encamped among the grasses.
- The main army moved out on 6 June and encamped before Jerusalem on the 7th.
- Staff of roads service was in the area last Wednesday and with the support of local police they obtained the names and vehicle details of those encamped illegally.
- Many times in our past we have seen enemy fleets in the channel and enemy armies encamped in the continental ports.
- When the Army of the Southwest first encamped at Helena, typhoid cases increased because of the great number of people available who had not been exposed to the disease.
- Standing on top of the battlements of the besieged city of Cardwell, Raven carefully took stock of the enemy armies encamped outside the stout Roman walls that had kept the besiegers at bay for almost a year.
- We are currently stationed near Fredericksburg with the rest of the Army encamped around us.
- It may have been simply fortuitous that they had encamped near the Korisa military camp.
- Cindy and I also spent a night encamped at the beautiful Royal Natal National Park camping site.
- But then, on the afternoon of the fifteenth, he came to the Assembly in person to declare that he was ordering the army encamped around Paris to disperse.
- And they took their journey from Succoth, and encamped in Etham, in the edge of the wilderness.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.