In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(journey/meeting) interminable(plain/patience) sin límites(plain/patience) infinito(resources) inagotable(resources) sin límites(complaining/chatter) continuo(chatter/complaining) incesantethe days seemed endless to me — los días se me hacían eternos / interminables
- It has stared at us from countless front pages and endless news bulletins.
- The possibilities are endless and only limited by the imagination.
- She was leaning on the rail, looking out at the endless miles of blue ocean.
- The speakers had long departed but the endless column of people continued to pour through the gates beyond 7pm.
- She stepped carefully over Katy and continued her seemingly endless trek to the edge.
- We have tried a variety of routes and negotiated endless queues of traffic caused by countless roadworks.
- And there is always one oddball who creates endless entertainment for everyone else.
- Residents have hit out at traffic calming measures causing them endless roadworks and bumpy streets.
- And he has a few choice words for the endless number of academies and centres of excellence.
- Far on the horizon of the endless ocean, the shores of the mainland came into view.
- Or was it one final act of endless love from his devoted wife of sixty years?
- The plot strands are endless and allow for little character development.
- If they are asked to fill out endless forms they will resent the waste of their time.
- We have endless examples of quite wrong readings that were taped, but never used.
- Instead of spending our time on crafting quality content, we waste it with endless bickering.
- Every day doesn't have to be an endless stream of cigarettes and magazines.
- Those options are much more individual too, allowing endless personal choice.
- With endless flights of stairs, we continuously climbed up them at a fairly steady pace.
- The basic game, as fun as it is, can be altered with an endless number of variations.
- Behind him the endless grey desert rose and fell like an ocean.
- She held on tighter to Devin's arm, afraid she may get lost in the endless number of streets.
- Neither can we just continue with current policies and put up with the endless amounts of abuse.
- With boundless energy and endless enthusiasm, it's hardly surprising that he makes a natural volunteer.
- Unrealistic expectations tend to create endless problems and frustrations.
- The stars are cold and tiny, but beautiful and endless in number.
- I leaned across the white metal railing and stared out into the endless blue green ocean.
- There was an endless journey home of car travel, airport waiting, two flights and whining, exhausted children.
- The sky blazed orange as the sun sank ever slowly behind the endless ocean water.
- They needed an endless number of supplies before they could even open the doors.
- Possibly it was the need for a change of view from the endless blue ocean beyond your deck chair.
- There were a multitude of stalls and an endless number of tractors on display.
- It is separated into a seemingly endless number of rooms, each with its own mood and theme.
- Despite endless numbers of underwater visitors, it still rates as one of the best dive sites in the world.
- The excitation of the guitar string remains a seemingly endless resource.
- I won't bore you with endless analysis, I bored enough people last night.
- It involved sitting in an office adding up endless columns of numbers written in brown ink on blue paper.
- Not recognizing this, they undergo endless and continual suffering.
- This endless commuting could be wasting your children's precious time with you, as much as yours with them.
- Here your hotel room would actually descend gently to the beach, almost touching the endless blue of the sea.
1.2(innumerable)innumerableendless attempts — (una) infinidad / un sinnúmero / un sinfín de intentos
- the possibilities are endless — hay (una) infinidad de posibilidades
2Tecnología(chain/belt/cable) sin fin
- There, elections seem to stretch to eternity and back in an endless loop of dollar-drenched democracy.
- The problem is that I've run into this dilemma before and now it seems that I'm stuck in an endless loop.
- I felt that my question did not register correctly and I ended up on an endless loop.
- An endless belt ran out from the bottom of the pile and into the boat for loading.
- A Flemish string can be twisted far more than an endless loop type.
- Neither does she miss the endless conveyor belt of interviews with public figures.
- Shaking his head, the medic turned his attention to the next link in an endless chain.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.