In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1masculino compromisomasculino noviazgothey have broken off their engagement — han roto su compromiso
- before noun engagement party — fiesta de compromiso / de petición de mano
- He had just returned from a dinner engagement with his sister and family.
- He has cancelled all his civic engagements for the remainder of the week.
- Later that day he had another engagement, where he was going to plant a tree in the school of another finalist in the competition.
- Unfortunately, the 80-year-old actress was forced to cancel her engagement the day before due to illness, leaving organisers just hours to find a suitable replacement.
- I headed off for our dinner engagement where I waited in vain for my dear husband to arrive.
- This did not help poor Sam who had a dinner engagement at 8.30 pm at Lancaster, hope she made it.
- While the site offers several corporate suits of a Western nature, it is largely devoted to attire a Hindu gentleman would wear to formal engagements.
- Douglas has been involved in a busy range of engagements in his first month in the office.
- Due to appear in court, she chose instead to fulfil a speaking engagement at the public hall.
- The charity currently has 24 drivers on its rota to carry out the 200 plus requests for transport to hospital and doctors' appointments, social engagements and shopping expeditions.
- This week is full up with appointments and social engagements, I'm sure of it, but I can hardly remember any specifics, my diary unhelpfully empty.
- He does speaking engagements to inform people about his experiences in the army.
- We separated twice in the duration of our engagement.
- The two of us had a dinner engagement later that night, and I was about to suggest our departure when we reached a standstill in both our conversation and our walking path.
- Apparently their society demanded a year long engagements, and this couple were newlyweds on their honeymoon.
- The annual St George's Day parade was her first weekend of public engagements since the end of the official period of mourning following the death of the Queen Mother and the memorial service for Princess Margaret.
- And the engagement promises to be deeper and longer-lasting than anyone ever imagined.
- I have a dinner engagement in ten minutes, and I still need to go home first.
- Then we have about 30 engagements a year, which can involve a lot of travelling.
- As well as their sightseeing the girls have also been invited to a host of formal engagements including a reception in the Irish Embassy with the Irish Ambassador and a reception for the delegates by the President of Finland.
- The Princess Royal has also cancelled all official engagements so she can be at Windsor to comfort the Queen.
- People usually marry after a period of formal engagement that can last several years.
- She was still carrying out 50 engagements a year at the age of 100.
2.1(appointment)compromiso masculinoa prior / previous engagement — un compromiso previo
- public engagement — compromiso oficial
- I have a dinner engagement on Friday — el viernes tengo una cena
- before noun engagement diary — agenda
2.2(employment)contrato masculinoempleo masculino
- All have generated more violence and widened the circle of killing far beyond the formal engagement of armed men on both sides.
- It is mostly in use where the case in point is organizing combined effective engagement of the enemy or planning employment of air defense forces and assets.
- He fought in most major engagements of the Mexican war.
- This year marks the 200th anniversary of a naval engagement that affected the balance of power from the Atlantic to the Far East - the Battle of Trafalgar.
- It is at this level that actual engagements and battles occur.
- The postwar operations will also require heavy engagement of Army forces for an unknown period of time.
- Over the course of his tour of duty, Price participated in 23 battles and engagements.
- The enduring peace between Israel and Egypt is a testament to security and stability through effective military engagement.
- The first engagement of the Civil War was fought on 21 July 1861 at the first Battle of Bull Run.
- In the early morning hours of November 13, 1942, two naval forces fought one of the fiercest engagements of World War II.
- As this country's land-fighting component, the Army has needed and employed interpreters in every engagement throughout its history.
- Extending the conclusion of losing battles, engagements and fire fights can salvage some benefits in the greater campaign.
- The fight for Little Round Top is certainly one of the most written about tactical engagements in the Civil War.
- Rapid simultaneous engagement of the enemy will not always result in the simultaneous cessation of all hostilities.
- Armed conflicts have sparked many innovations in the system of effective engagement of the enemy by fire.
- The division performs major tactical operations for the corps and can conduct sustained battles and engagements.
- Cavalry engagements fought in mud proved very costly and from a military point of view, hopeless.
- Australia currently has a very modest military capability in terms of supporting foreign engagements of large numbers of troops on the ground for a prolonged period.
- The goal of precision engagement of ground targets from aircraft has a long history.
- Meanwhile, preparations for military engagement in the Persian Gulf continue.
- Mutual obligation is therefore seen as a social or political value that can be enforced without reference to whether it involves engagement in a reciprocal economy.
- China's engagement in space scientific experiments and technical tests is entirely out of peaceful purpose, it also represents a contribution to the science of humanity and to the cause of peace.
- Who would blame them for resisting engagement in this project?
- Either way, Sweden should move towards a more constructive engagement in the process of European integration.
- We need to develop community responsibility and civic engagement in young people.
- A substantial body of research now proves student satisfaction and engagement in learning increase with participation in the arts.
- What we also have is a lack of interest and engagement in formal politics.
- Besides my amusement in actually relating a current writing to Plato, I think the column astutely voices a deficiency of student engagement in classes.
- The National Party also seems to be shying away from constructive engagement on such important issues.
- Intuitively, one would expect to find a significant correlation between employee engagement and what a business produces.
- The report looked at declining levels of engagement in the political process as well as press and broadcast news.
- The two sides agreed on the need for full engagement in the European project and a close alliance with the US.
- It mirrored the lack of engagement in last year's US presidential elections.
- The two objectives of the model are to improve services and promote community engagement.
- The historical implies not so much an engagement with the artistic past as with the unfolding quality and specificity of events in time.
- The project seeks to increase understanding of contemporary art and to facilitate engagement with the arts in the workplace.
- It's about empowerment, informed decision-making and engagement in democratic processes.
- But it does require far more engagement with the world and reality.
- Q7 Is there anything further about participation and engagement in democracy you would like to add?
- Their thinking cannot be based on wide reading or a deep and sustained engagement with issues.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.