In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1corno inglés masculino
- She is playing oboe and English horn in the Academy Concert Band and the West Point Woodwind Quintet.
- He's served as an Air Force bandsman for 20 years and can just as easily strike a tune on an English horn.
- Delicately scored for English horn, harp, and two percussionists, it was described by the composer as ‘a garden of sounds and silences.’
- Even he played English horn on occasion.
- Berckmans is still on board, and his oboe, bassoon and English horn remain a major part of the group's mediaeval chamber music sound.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.