In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Police are currently conducting house-to-house enquiries and making forensic examinations.
- Police said nobody has been arrested as yet and they are still making enquiries.
- They do not keep us informed or respond to enquiries and appointments are frequently cancelled and work not completed.
- I will attempt to assist you with your enquiry as soon as possible, and hopefully get back to you tomorrow.
- All are welcome and all enquiries, problems or queries will be treated in confidence.
- Police initially put out an appeal for information to discover her identity and began house to house enquiries.
- Colin said he would be making enquiries on the ground to find out what went on.
- Police believe they may have information which can help officers with their enquiries.
- The police are now carrying out door-to-door enquiries and urging people with information to come forward.
- On making enquiries he hears the Champion has moved down to another road.
- He said officers are making enquiries to trace the source of the leaflets.
- Despite making enquiries the gentleman who found the money has still not located the owner.
- We are making enquiries to trace these people.
- They'd had an enquiry about the price of some of the information they sell.
- Of late, enquiries seem to be pouring in regarding its possible use for various purposes.
- Recently a family were making enquiries about a Bernie Madden, long deceased now.
- In reply to your enquiry I inform you that I was not late for my lecture since it did not start before I arrived.
- They also made door-to-door enquiries to gather further information from residents in the area.
- In contrast, the top enquiry in November 2002 was about product information.
- To help us put an end to the current spate of enquiries, please pass this information on to all contacts.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.