In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The entablature's architrave and frieze break out over each individual engaged column, emphasizing verticality, while the cornice breaks out over each pair to unify the pier-column unit.
- You find the abacus between the triglyphs in the frieze section of the entablature of classical Greek Doric temples.
- The large frieze panels connecting the archivolts form the entablature of the columns.
- I've never seen so many colonnades, entablatures, pediments, porticos, coffered ceilings and statues adorning so many structures.
- Each column supported an appropriate entablature, on the frieze of which was inscribed Pro Patria, ‘reminding the legislator of the end and object of his delegation.’
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.