In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He is also an enthusiast for newer aircraft, which are more fuel-efficient but also more expensive.
- Falconry enthusiasts wanting to delve even deeper into the subject can sign up for a course of either one, two or five days.
- A breathless enthusiast for the wired world, he writes well enough to take happy Luddites such as me along with him.
- The event is expected to attract a lot of interest among dart enthusiasts and all are welcome on the night.
- It is certain to appeal to field-sports enthusiasts and to nature lovers.
- It has captured the imagination of the public and has accrued a loyal following of enthusiasts.
- But he is one of life's great enthusiasts and his love of his subject is getting quite infectious.
- A model aircraft enthusiast for many years, he painstakingly built the helicopter from a kit last year.
- He was a leading and ardent enthusiast for the very inward investment that he now equally enthusiastically disclaims.
- The enthusiast for Puritan literature will welcome, read and apply the content of this book.
- The people involved would class themselves as enthusiasts interested in the survival of the scene.
- For a change the zoo authorities want the wildlife enthusiasts to suggest a name for this female baboon.
- For the dance enthusiast, ballet conveys the strength and fragility of the human spirit through its grace and agility.
- He had been a long-standing enthusiast for home rule at a time when it merely served to reinforce his marginal status in the party.
- Gardening enthusiasts are turning detective to try and find the origins of a carved statuette.
- He was an enthusiast for the theatre and university educated.
- Unless you are an enthusiast for such things, these annual events don't have a ‘wow’ factor.
- The last game of the year is traditionally the time football enthusiasts and pundits switch to full clairvoyance mode.
- The store is expected to attract interest from the sports enthusiasts who frequent the Arena complex.
- The advent of the old-new technology is something airship enthusiasts thought would never happen.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.