In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- They were all well hidden, though they each had a good view of the area and its environs.
- What I do want is for the lake and its environs to be respected, preserved, protected and enhanced for future generations.
- All proceeds will go to the renewal of the grass training area, and landscaping of the pitch environs.
- This will provide development for the site of the Cultural Centre and its environs, as well as some commercial and housing sites.
- A far wider use of the lake and its environs will fill any gap and bring increased income from those who seek peace and tranquillity.
- It hopes to organise similar competitions and art camps in the premises so that more people would get to know the institution's environs.
- At the end of the visit, the German visitors to Foxford and its environs expressed their delight with the area and its rich heritage and culture.
- The park and its environs are immaculate - so much so that I felt like suppressing a sneeze which crept up on me!
- As the long summer day passed we wandered the market and the surrounding environs.
- This device can also be used to access a satellite view of the environs within which you are currently located.
- The Globe's surrounding environs are attractive, despite being at close quarters with warehouses and other businesses.
- Before the 19th century, Loch Lomond and its environs, the Trossachs, wasn't the tourist haunt it is today.
- The artwork should reflect the local environs and the vast musical talent of the Northern Rivers region.
- His stories of childhood, historical events, and environmental beauty of Sligo and its environs are wonderful.
- The club caters for the whole town area and its environs.
- Among 1,000 poultry farms in the city's environs, only about 100 have been dealt with, so far.
- The devotees who visit this temple cannot complain about the environs of the area.
- He never stays in one place long enough to give us a depth of understanding about the environs or people in the places he visits.
- From there he made drawing excursions to some of his most inspiring subjects, including Duncombe Park and the environs of Kirkham.
- Nearly 90 per cent of people spending their holidays in its environs had either visited the Park or intended to do so.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.