In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Basal cell carcinomas are derived from the basal layer of keratinocytes, which is the deepest cell layer of the epidermis.
- Basal cell carcinoma is a tumor arising from the basal cell layer of the epidermis.
- There is another layer of cells between the basal cells and the keratin-rich epidermis known as spiny cells.
- The outer layer is the epidermis, which contains a thin section of dead cells called the stratum corneum.
- In oil-treated fruit, cells with degenerated contents were located in all cell layers from the epidermis downwards.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.