In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It's meant to lend a spirit of Everyman inquiry and thoughtful erudition to the proceedings.
- It was an assured display of political and cultural erudition, a depth of knowledge of the past in all its social and ethical forms.
- To common people, impressed by his learning, erudition and experience, all this looks puzzling.
- He was a brave and energetic traveller, an art historian of astonishing erudition, and a profoundly perceptive connoisseur of civilisations.
- Anyone wishing a general introduction to this fascinating period and one which is told with erudition and understanding should look no further.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.