In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Because the fruit is so good, the trees are best grown as espaliers in a small garden, which will maximise fruit production against tree size.
- These include Kylemore Abbey, where 150-year-old apple espaliers line the paths of the kitchen garden.
- In addition there is a large patio surrounded by trees on espaliers.
- I want to train a pear tree as an espalier against a wall.
- A simple espalier can train all branches to grow horizontally.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.