In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Two contributions by indigenous writers will probably be of especial interest to readers with a social or cultural anthropological background.
- Three features of these data are of especial interest.
- I give especial thanks to Jane Brown for her extraordinary help and to Tony White for years of helpful discussions.
- Where life is at stake the evidence must be scrutinised with especial care.
- In his essays and prefaces to plays, poems, and translations, he comments about past and present literary practice, writing with especial care about the form and function of drama.
- I value education a great deal - it is one of the great processes of life - but, like other great processes of life, I don't feel any especial reverence for it.
- Yet we feel especial guilt when our wrong-doing betrays another person's confidence.
- The sections on stage antiquities and on the Athenian constitution are of especial interest to scholars.
- The addition of a bit of 21st-century soft porn didn't improve the story or give it any especial depth, to my mind.
- Of the 58 homes, the 18 detached residences are attracting especial attention from buyers looking to upgrade from a three-bed semi to something more spacious and of a higher quality.
- It gave him especial joy, he declared, to see so many young, upstanding men in the congregation.
- He had taken especial care preparing for this evening and in his heart he knew that he would be escorting this beautiful girl home.
- It was received with especial delight in the Netherlands and cultivated with great care.
- When building a house or farm especial care should be taken to place it at the foot of a wooded hill where it is exposed to health-giving winds.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.