In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(particularly)(satisfying/difficult) especialmente(satisfying/difficult) particularmenteI didn't especially like the book — el libro no me pareció nada especial
- why did you choose that one especially? — ¿por qué escogió ese precisamente / en particular?
- He at once became a valued member, a very talented actor, especially in comedy roles.
- It is especially useful for the information it gives on Strauss as a family man.
- Rock is enjoying one of its biggest years ever, with the metal end faring especially well.
- It is especially important that babies and small children do not become dehydrated.
- On the other hand they can look most attractive, especially when planted up with herbs.
- This must be dealt with as soon as possible, especially if the tree is in a dangerous condition.
- That real and deep sense of solidarity was especially important to us as Muslims.
- Yet especially over the past few decades, the strength of this commitment has waned.
- This area is however especially prone to changes in the overall political climate.
- In its short history America has a lot to be proud of, especially in the field of human endeavour.
- The second act is especially gripping as the virtual world grows and becomes even more real.
- Handling data will be especially important as teams prepare for the race at Phoenix.
- It will make such a difference, especially for elderly people living on the estate.
- It's a lonely life, especially for a woman on her own surrounded by male musicians.
- Also you may be better off getting a yearly cover - especially if you do travel quite a lot.
- They have now handed out a phone number for residents to report especially loud aircraft.
- Her dress, made especially for the ball, caught at her legs as she ran, slowing her down.
- They said life there was boring and disorienting but not especially harsh.
- Mention any features of which you are especially proud and which you would like the judges to see.
- Knowing when to attack is much more difficult, especially for players at club level.
- She refuses to let the issue lie, especially as she feels the snub has racist overtones.
- Make sure that the coach company knows this, especially if you have to arrive at a certain time.
- Some of the old style traffic wardens were ruthless, especially some of the women.
- Fine tuning the car is especially important here, because of the nature of the track.
- So a big thank you to Bradford and its people and especially to Gareth, who was the cause for us going there.
- The issues are less easy today than they once were, especially during the Cold War.
- When we walked into the room, he announced that he was going to sing a song especially for Micky and me.
- The photo was taken especially for the blog by our latest work experience recruit last week!
- Something must be done urgently especially as Bonfire Night is almost upon us again.
- This is especially important if it is going to be daytime when you arrive at your destination.
- As a woman it's especially important to be open and say what you think about it.
- However it can also be a serious illness, especially for people who are frail or already ill.
- Residents there may like to know that this part of South Wales is especially beautiful.
- We wish to celebrate a person who can be seen as a role model especially for younger business people.
2(above all, in particular)especialmenteeveryone was bored, especially me — estaba todo el mundo aburrido, sobre todo / especialmente / en especial yo
- I bought it especially for him — lo compré expresamente / especialmente para él
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.