In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Apparently, three Americans have been arrested for espionage.
- If convicted on charges of espionage and aiding the enemy, he could receive the death penalty.
- He was not charged with espionage and has repeatedly denied giving information to China.
- He denied his detention had anything to do with politics or espionage.
- The break-in comes amid growing concern about computer espionage and security.
- They were freed in December, after accusations of espionage were reduced to charges of gathering secret information.
- The truth of the matter is that since the dawn of time, diplomacy has been closely linked to espionage.
- After all, one never knew when one might become entangled in a web of international espionage.
- Balzac pumped him for information on organised crime and political espionage.
- Even if espionage had taken place at Los Alamos, they argued, it had not mattered.
- Cases involving foreign espionage or international terrorism are also omitted.
- We also know there are people engaged in such things as economic espionage.
- The run for the presidency is no joke, rife with political chicanery, espionage and blackmail.
- Overt violence now gives way to a conflict based on espionage and infiltration.
- Maybe espionage has grown less romantic since the end of the Cold War because the focus has shifted.
- All in all, it was a decent action thriller, with elements of espionage and intelligence thrown in.
- After all, espionage is said to be the world's second oldest profession.
- Dozens were executed for espionage or sabotage after having been convicted in show trials.
- In doing this, Dench had inspiration from the real world of espionage - a female spymistress.
- After a secret trial, he was sentenced to 18 years for treason and espionage.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.