In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(measure/calculate) exactamente(calculate/measure) con precisiónshe arrived at six-thirty exactly or at exactly six-thirty — llegó a las seis y media en punto
- exactly how/where did you do it? — ¿cómo/dónde lo hizo exactamente?
- he told me exactly the same story — me dijo exactamente lo mismo
- that's exactly what I was going to say — es precisamente / exactamente lo que iba a decir
- they weren't exactly pleased to see us — no es que estuvieran precisamente encantados de vernos
- it needs a coat of paint — exactly! — necesita una mano de pintura — ¡exacto! / ¡así es! / ¡efectivamente!
- so she's a friend of yours? — not exactly, but … — ¿así que es amiga tuya? — lo que se dice amiga no, pero …
- Well a lot of the problem was the definitions of what is a yacht and who exactly is Rich.
- While commonly used by many authors, it is not so easy to pinpoint exactly what they mean by the term.
- I want to ask him to open the books and tell us exactly what this war is costing in financial terms.
- No one can be absolutely correct about when exactly life begins and every person will have his or her own view.
- When the first Icehotel in the world opened, some people were a little bemused by exactly what it was.
- So we need to identify exactly what the barriers are to see if we can correct them.
- Second, what does it mean, exactly, to talk about children dying from air pollution?
- Do you know exactly what you want to do with yourself once your undergrad degree is over?
- He doesn't pull any punches and he lets you know in no uncertain terms exactly what he wants from you.
- Whether this assertion is warranted and what exactly it amounts to is quite another question.
- Newspapers can monitor exactly which stories in that spot will sell most papers.
- I'm not sure what bird it is exactly, it's definitely a raptor, and looks like a huge hawk.
- More precisely, have you guessed exactly where the one large casino is going to be yet?
- We need to identify exactly where problems exist and respond to them with precision.
- It would have been a perfect spot for stargazing, had she known exactly what it was she was looking for.
- No question it's an excellent film but how accurate is that description exactly?
- Now, just exactly where have all the scraps of paper with the new addresses got to?
- As a rule, there is no term in the contract about exactly where he is to work.
- We now know exactly what Lancashire has done in terms of modernisation, and what is needed.
- It took me a few minutes to figure out exactly what I hated about this painting.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.