In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- He was an outstanding writer on his subject giving many excellent accounts of his work.
- It seems like an excellent idea and we'll be popping down to get a couple soon.
- Gilbert was an excellent mathematician and the author of a fine analysis textbook.
- My favourite ever piece of digital art is an excellent example of this kind of sublime infinity.
- They keep an excellent pint, have a wicked sense of humour and Jimmy knows lots of rugby songs.
- There was a cool, shaded garden and an excellent veranda from which to watch the street go by.
- A quite excellent place to eat and the perfect place to end a very busy and interesting day.
- A good strong powerful striker who is excellent in the air and has brilliant shooting.
- Jambolan juice is an excellent source of sherbets and syrups for making cool drinks.
- We already have an excellent relationship with a supplier of a top class product.
- It was a fine start to what promises to be an excellent season of historic rallying.
- For those with lesser appetites, this would probably be an excellent value meal for two.
- The schools have had outstanding test and exam results as well as the excellent reports.
- The nursing staff were excellent and kept us fully informed of our her condition.
- Followed by an excellent lunch, fine wine, more coffee and a Cuban cigar to finish off.
- The fireworks looked excellent from our vantage point in the Castle Terrace car park.
- He looks very strong in defence and should prove an excellent asset and the first class centre.
- In fairness, the pitch has seen some serious work on it and is in excellent condition.
- For man is made to the image of God, which condition is undoubtedly most excellent.
- From this starting point pure fear is an excellent motivator to maintain perfection.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.