In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Intel said the Asian market excluding Japan accounted for the largest part of the company's sales for the first time.
- I've been selective, yes, excluding accounts of unpleasant events and happenings.
- In the most recent year for which accounts are available, all taxes generated in Scotland, excluding the UK revenues from North Sea oil, amounted to £34.03 billion.
- It's been a while (I can't remember seeing anything like that since primary school, excluding the show I saw for my 21st), so I'm excited.
- The company, which accounts for nearly 10 per cent of US retail sales excluding cars, has repeated in recent weeks that its consumers are tightening their belts.
- The Government has a $7.4 billion operating surplus and a $6.6 billion operating balance, excluding revaluations and accounting charges.
- In 2002, Asia-Pacific excluding Japan accounted for about a third - $50 billion - of global chip consumption.
- Just to make this clear, the OBERAC (operating balance excluding revaluation and accounting changes) effectively tracks the level of investment in our society.
- The central question of the survey asked if a person, over the last 12 months, read any part of any novel, short story, poem, or play - excluding material required for work or school.
- Government taxes on fuel, excluding VAT, accounted for over 1.8bn collected in 2004 with just over half this figure derived from taxes on petrol.
- Bradford Centre Regeneration, the joint venture company set up to spearhead the rebirth of the city, estimates there are about 780 people, excluding students, now living in the city centre.
- Storage would be €50.82 per week, also excluding insurance.
- From Tuesday, August 8 to Saturday, August 12, there will be a half price sale on all clothes, excluding school uniforms.
- Time and resource constraints compelled the panel to define relatively narrow boundaries, excluding important topic areas beyond the scope of the panel's mandate.
- He changed it to what is called the ‘operating balance excluding revaluations and account changes’.
- Staff grade and associate specialist doctors make up around half of A&E doctors, excluding trainees.
- As I indicated on Saturday, it is likely that the figure for the operating balance excluding revaluations and accounting changes will be somewhere about the $4 billion mark.
- Well, a short flight down to London excluding the two hour delay in taking off.
- I was quite pleased with myself: I managed to trim a ten-paragraph letter down to nine words, excluding salutation.
- The size of the house excluding underground parking is about 4,100 square feet.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.