In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(self-interest)conveniencia femeninointerés personal masculinohis life was guided by the principle of expediency — el oportunismo dirigía su vida
- With a national election looming next year, the dispute is charged with allegations of political expediency.
- Jefferson's acts as president possess a coherence beyond the accidents of expediency.
- How does the state balance sympathy and the demands of expediency?
- That creation can only be regarded as one of expediency and convenience.
- Once Constitution stands in the way of natural justice then it must be rooted out and changed with vigorous expediency.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.